Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rawr. Negative review of D'A half-rounds.

Just to contribute my 2 pennies o' experience, I tried out the half-round D'Addario XL strings (45-65-80-105) and I really kind've despise them. At first they were novel, because they are so dull-sounding until you really dig in and they immediately shift over to MEGA-BRITE, but now I'm just tired of them. I can't get much nuance out of them--like I said, they are just kind of dull and "thump thump" until you really dig in, and there's not a whole lot of nuance between thump thump and clack clack.

They can make some pretty sounds, but I just demand more versatility. Added to that, they are EXTREMELY tense; I really like strings with "snap" to them, the ability to slide off of my finger with ease, to give that "plays like butter" feeling.

I also tried D'A XL Chromes of an identical gauge for my fretless and came to dislike them for similar reasons. I am now using TIs, and they were so "buttery" at first that I didn't like them at all, but now I've warmed up to them and I think they've spoiled me into never wanting to play any other brand string.

For the record, the best roundwound strings I have played to date would have to be Rotos. Sorry to go all stereotypical on everyone here, but I think they outdo Ernie Ball slinkies (which I used exclusively for the first 4-5 years of playing bass), Fender, and now D'A strings, at least in my world. The best flats I have played are my current TIs.

Alright... just reporting in for the good of the great, all-encompassing hive-consciousness that is this forum.

cassius

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use DA half-rounds on my fretless. Love 'em. No complaints from me. Although, I wouldn't use them on either of my fretted basses because I wouldn't get the sound I want.

Never been a fan of the slinkies (never could get them to walk down the stairs) or rotosounds. Those were my first and second sets of strings ever - it is possible they had sat at the store for many years before I purchased them. I wasn't going to fork over more $$ and find out.

A stiffy somewhere in the city sewer system...

I'll have your spam. I love it.

No. Really. Send them to me. It's OK if they're already trimmed, since I can just put them on the Steiney. (Oh, spell check does not like the word "steiney") Rounds just have too much zzzzzzing for me.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Yes but nickel rounds are the best. Not as zingy as the stainless but still bright of middle or half wounds. Also if the initially zing is not your thing, turn the treble down a touch. But you'll be rewarded with great feel and tone to spare.

That was a commercial on behalf of DR Sunbeams ...

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I alternate between D'A half rounds and Ken Smith Compressors for my fretless Jazz; currently has the half rounds on it. I was going to change strings before I went into the studio last summer, as the strings were 2 1/2-3 years old... but I decided to leave them on.

Sorry they don't work for you; and congratulations, Paul!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Archived