Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Player Live! 2008 in Los Angeles Nov. 1 & 2

Jonathan Herrera

It's back again!! This time in L.A. @ SIR. Read the blurb below to get all the info. This one is shaping up to be the best yet, and the venue is looking fantastic. Discuss amongst yourselves here, and looking forward to hanging with you there!

Jonathan Herrera

Senior Editor

BASS PLAYER

Verdine White, Mike Watt, Carol Kaye to receive Lifetime Achievement Awards as presented by Flea, Nathan East, others

Programming includes 16 clinics by top bass artists

Hands-on access to gear from 40 bass/equipment manufacturers

Exclusive BPL concert event

Get ready for mind-expanding clinics, killer gear, and the best bassists on the planet! This two-day event consists of cool clinics and hands-on access to the hottest gear in the marketplace as well as a private concert event showcasing exciting bass performances and the presentation of the Bass Player Lifetime Achievement Awards. Traditionally hosted in NYC, BPL makes its way West for the first time on November 1-2. Open to players and enthusiasts of all styles and levels of expertise. There is no other bass-centric event like it. If you or someone you know has an interest in bass, dont miss this event.

COMPLETE INFORMATION ONLINE AT WWW.BASSPLAYERLIVE.COM

Featuring appearances from: Stanley Clarke, Flea, Hadrien Feraud with Dominique DiPiazza, Mike Elizondo, Nathan East, Mike Watt, Rickey Minor, Neil Stubenhaus, Oskar Cartaya, Verdine White, P-Nut, Chris Chaney, Bobby Vega, Larry Klein, Jeff Berlin, Steve Bailey, Dave Ellefson and others!

Featuring exhibits from: Fender, SWR, Markbass, MTD Kingston, Line 6, Peavey, Trace Elliot, Warwick, Acoustic, Laguna Basses, DR Strings, Aguilar, Alleva-Coppolo, Ashdown, Carvin, DAddario, Dunlop Manufacturing, EMG Pickups, Epifani, Epiphone, Gallien-Krueger, Mesa/Boogie, Roland, Spector, Dr. Bass Cabs, LACE Music Products, Lakland, N-Tune, R. Cocco Strings, TecAmp, Spellbinder, and Steve Bailey and Victor Wootens The Bass Vault!

Concert lineup includes: Hadrien Feraud with Dominique DiPiazza, Tal Wilkenfeld Trio, Lifetime Achievement Award presentations to Session Legend Carol Kaye, Punk Pioneer Mike Watt, Earth, Wind & Fires Verdine White; performances by Mike Watt, Verdine White, and an All-Star Jam of all the BPL clinicians and artists hosted by Steve Bailey!

EXHIBITS/CLINICS at SIR Studios, 6465 Sunset Boulevard @ Wilcox, Los Angeles, CA Saturday, November 1, 10:00am 6:00pm Sunday, November 2, 10:00am 4:00pm

CONCERT EVENT at Key Club, 9039 Sunset Boulevard, Hollywood, CA Saturday, November 1; Doors 7:00pm

TICKETS: Purchase online via www.BassPlayerLive.com

One-day Clinics/Exhibits Pass: $29 before October 15; $40 after October 15

Two-day Clinics/Exhibits Pass: $49 before October 15; $60 after October 15

BPL CONCERT at Key Club: $29 before October 15; $40 after October 15

WEBSITE: http://www.BassPlayerLive.com About Bass Player LIVE

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who is attending, please take your digital camera, buy the biggest memory card availabe, shoot it up with pics of Tal Wilkenfeld :love: and nothing but Tal Wilkenfeld :love:, and sell it to me at a ridiculously high price :grin:

And please do not tell my girlfriend that I have a crush on Tal Wilkenfeld :love:

:grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Jonathan dont mean to be a painbut can you guys get the dates with a bit more notice for next year, I know thats really difficult to organize all but for us on this side of the pond, we need to book flights in advance to get them at barely assault price, I know theres lots of cats who wanted to be there and would go if we had more notice.

One day I will goone day.

Ps: I envy you all NYC bass players

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Hey DMP,

It's been advertised in the magazine the past 2-3 issues, although I don't know what kind of schedule you're on for receiving the magazine across the pond.

We NYC players have been lucky the past three years, but I'll not be attending this year since it's on the other side of the country.

However, Jonathan, I think y'all made a wise decision to move it (temporarily, I hope) to the west coast. I enjoyed all three years of BP Live in NYC, but it seemed to me that some of the interest here had waned when I attended last year. Alternating between coasts or even rotating between some combination of three cities might keep attendance up... Maybe NYC, LA, and Nashville (or Las Vegas) where there would be plenty of musicians who might show?

Just my two cents.

Thanks for continuing to do the event.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

ups...

Sorry Jonathan, i've moved house and haven't received last months issue, I have the other two but haven't had time to read them.

my bad

as for NYC guys i still envy you, you have better bigger shops, more brands to choose from and already had three Bass live events.

Maybe you could do one every 3 years in europe....in london.... :D

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Honorable bass buds,

I'm proofing the BPL printed program today, and I have to say, the whole thing looks just amazing. I'm thoroughly stoked by the all the cool things we've managed to put together for this year's BPL. (And by "we," I really mean Chris Jisi and Jonathan Herrera.) The clinics alone are darn rockin'--Stanley Calarke, Chris Chaney, Larry Klein, part deux of the Steve Bailey/Jeff Berlin debate, Mike Watt, Verdine White, Dave Ellefson, Phil Chen--and gobs more. For those of you who are planning to come: Which clinic are you most looking forward to?

Bill

Bill Leigh, Editor in Chief

BASS PLAYER

Alright! I can't wait for BPL! This is the first one I've been to, and I'm really looking forward to it. To answer your question Bill, the Feraud/DiPiazza clinic is pretty tops on my list, unless I hear even a rumour of Flea joining Mike Watt for his clinic - then I'm all over that. Which is not to say that I've heard that, everyone, I just know they're tight (and obviously Flea is presenting the Lifetime Achievement Award to him).

Bill, I came down from Seattle for the 4th of July last year and you showed me around the BP offices when Jon ended up not being available that day. Not that I expect you to recall the meeting specifically, but I'm looking forward to saying 'hi' again!

Ok, after all of that, a question. I just bought a flight case, and am bringing a bass down for sure, but I've never been to one of these or any series of clinics like it; would anyone who knows suggest I bring the bass to the clinics, or leave it at home to practice what I've learned later? I saw a clip of a guy that got to go up on stage during a Vic Wooten clinic with his bass to demo something and that made me lean strongly to the 'bring the bass' side! What do you think? Thanks in advance!

Sean Fairchild

www.seanfairchild.com

Hey Sean,

So glad to hear you're coming, and sorry we didn't get a chance to meet when you were here.

As for bringing the bass, I would definitely NOT bring one. Not only will you have to schlep it around and worry about it the whole time, but also most of the clinics are geared toward relating information for using later. Plus, having attendees bring basses can get a little sticky liability wise, as there will be many manufacturers with tons of basses there, most of whom would hate one to leave unannounced...

Blah blah. Anyway, just bring your enthusiastic self.

As for the event, I'm probably more excited about this one than any before. There's something about the difference in the LA industry vs. the NY industry which made this year's have a very practical, applied, career-oriented slant...guys like Rickey Minor and Larry Klein and Mike Elizondo are all killing players who also are enormously successful producers, MDs, and general ass-kicking business people...I love hearing new ways to make money wielding the bass, and this year's BPL is an unprecedented meeting of players doing just that.

But that's just me.

I was there on Saturday. Unfortunately I foolishly chose NOT to take my camera, even though I carry it everywhere else usually. I am a relative bass noob who has been playing guitar for a few years, so a lot of the people there I really didn't know anything about. However I did sit in on workshops with Mike Elizondo, Nathan East and Mike Watt. Also I got to see Greg Koch play a ridiculous song on guitar in the Fender room that had everyone in awe.

Anyway, it was a great event. Unfortunately I couldn't go back for today's (Sunday) session.

I'm looking forward to hearing about today's festivities and seeing lots of pictures.

Archived