Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New band members

Ross Brown

All right, lets say just for arguments sake, a band was to audition a drummer that comes highly recommended and decide they like him (and he is good). How long do you think it should take for a drummer to be ready to take over the drum chair? Classic rock and blues tunes that he is familiar with. Ready right away? 1 rehearsal, 2? 10?

We are a busy band so we only have a few gaps in the schedule to make a switch. Just thinking out loud (if typing counts as out loud).

I know I will get a bunch of answers. Keep in mind that 1) I am Type A and not good with winging it, 2) we are good, but not full time musicians, so see #1.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right away. There is no need to drag the other drummer on. Think about what the consequences would be if current drummer found out about new drummer before you all told him. He may not show up for any gigs regardless of what you think you should do.

Treat people how you expect to be treated even if you don't get treated that way.

How do you sign a computer screen?

Yes, I agree. I am trying to slip a new drummer into the schedule. My thought is that a good drummer could be gig ready in a rehearsal or two, therefore, old one out new one in, no overlap. Is this an acurate assessment of a typical drummer. As a bass player, I could be gig ready for a new band with a set list that I was familiar with with a rehearsal or two.

I know some would say "who needs a rehearsal"? ... I do...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

One or two rehearsals should do it. Beginnings and endings and any deviations from the norm.

I understand your concern - you're the guy that has to play with him. It may take a lot longer than a couple rehearsals to get in sinc.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

If you're all veterans, even though not as a unit, I say a couple of rehearsals and have a baptism of fire. Just make sure that if things go wrong (and they probably will), you go for creative criticism and confidence building, rather than "man you blew it- cancel all other gigs until they're perfect." You learn more about playing in synch at a live event than in rehearsals. (though in my case, we learn that we need more rehearsals!)

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I auditioned for a band Wednesday & played a gig Saturday (bass), but to be honest, it took me about 4-6 gigs to be fully confident.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I auditioned for a band Wednesday & played a gig Saturday (bass), but to be honest, it took me about 4-6 gigs to be fully confident.

G.

You've had six gigs since Saturday??? :laugh:;)

Last gig I played, I shook hands with the drummer for the first time an hour and 45 minutes before show time.

We pulled it off -- great drummer -- but I wouldn't recommend it.

Similar situation with a fill-in drummer one time. Veteran drummer and everything went fine.

Another time we had a surprise sit-in drummer for almost a whole set. That didn't work out as well because our lead singer also decided to take an extended break at the same time. That left just two of us on stage with a drummer we'd never played with before, all three of us scratching our heads trying to decide on songs to play as we had to abandon the set list. Not a train wreck, but I usually do open jams on my off nights, thank-you-very-much.

I'm with Jeremy. Put him in coach, he's ready to play. As long as he has at least heard the songs before and you make sure to cue him, he should be fine. If you have the time before hand, one rehearsal should be plenty.

You need to make the change sooner rather than later. By stalling you run the risk of losing both drummers. And you really need to stop wasting your time with the one you've been playing with.

And don't burn your bridges with your soon-to-be ex-drummer.

Last gig I played, I shook hands with the drummer for the first time an hour and 45 minutes before show time.

It happened to me once.. somewhat similar.. I was guitar player/singer for a one-show-only Rush tribute, and met the guy who was to play keyboards about 15 minutes before playtime. The guy knew all the songs, had the proper sounds set up on his keyboards, knew all the cues, was a friend of the drummer (even tho they had never played those songs together before), show went smoothly, guy picked up his keyboards and went away. I didn't even got ahold of his name. Never saw him again, and that was in 1992... go figure...

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

One or two rehearsals should do it. Beginnings and endings and any deviations from the norm.

I understand your concern - you're the guy that has to play with him. It may take a lot longer than a couple rehearsals to get in sinc.

I agree. You need to briefly go over the songs just to make sure everybody is on the same page and everybody is somewhat comfortable then go for it!

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

OK... finally... We have a new drummer.

I just got off of the phone with the old drummer to give him the news. He seemed surprised, but was professional.

Played with the new drummer last night. He is a guy I have played with before. Very good. He was busy with other projects but now is available. I spoke with him late this afternoon and he was glad we asked him to join us.

It has been a long road getting to this place. Thanks for reading all of my whimpy posts. I hate firing people. I do it occasionally at work and hate it every time.

The new drummer agreed that 1 rehearsal should be plenty to get ready for our first gig with him in a week and a half. He teaches drums and also teaches a high school rock band at a local high school... cool. We were worried that he would say he had better players in that band than us... (just kidding.... sort of...).

Hopefully we can get to the next level with this guy pushing us a bit...

Perhaps he picked up something from your conversation/meetings/body language that made him think you were serious. Even exceptional musicians worry that the phone doesn't ring enough. I would say that my drum tutor was phenomenal but when I hear about the pathetic gigs he does it makes you wonder.

Well done for getting there.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Glad this came off. The number of rehearsals should be based on how unusual your arrangements are - how different from the recorded versions. Minor differences can be handled with decent signals. I'm betting your versions don't diverge that much.

Try not to be too type-A on him the first gig and I'll bet he has his stuff together by the second.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived