Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

THE SUPER-DUPER DAW THREAD

While reading this thread I'm thinking about power supplies & sizings, quiet fans, and munufacturers warranties. Any tips or ideas on these things ? I built my own computer a while back which didn't carry a performance plan or store warranty of course. After filling it up with video and audio cards while experimenting with differnt types it ran pretty good for some time. Then I plugged in an adaptec USB exchange cable and it took out 5 volt line - and every card and disk that had a 5 volt connection. Only the disks (lifetime warranties) were replaced - all data and A/V cards and cpu was smoked. I had fun building that thing though ! So I guess I've just uncovered part of my problem - instead of properly sizing the system and playing within those parameters (wattage of P.S.) I kept ramming stuff in without thinking about straining anything. The PS could've just died too - but it was only 1.5 years old. So my last unit I bought pre-assembled and integrated from microcenter and bought the 3 year warranty. I then stuffed in 3 PCI cards and more memory myself. kylen ED: PS Lawdy Be ! Here's some interesting PS BS over on this thread, hmmm... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=014619 I guess there's a balance between having good power overhead, cooling it, and fan noise that you have to look at.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote] That's true of Micron and possibly Corsair,but not Mushkin.Mushkin makes their own memory right here in the united states(Denver) and is hand inspected before it goes out the door,they are not resellers,and they are not much more money(if at all) than most(especially Corsair).There was a time when there were shortages and Mushkin were forced to resell Samsung,but they pointed that out and priced it accordingly.In either case,I have never ever had a single problem with any of their memory ever,and Iv'e built plenty of machines,and when I order from them,I don't think twice about possible problems.I also am not about to start buying from bargain basement vendors when it comes to ram,nor would I reccommend it. [/quote]not trying to argue with you but.. companies who make memory: Micron, Samsung, Mosel, Infineon, Hundai, Elixer, Nanya, Hynix, Winbond there are a few others. companies who assemble memory: Muskin, Corsair, Ma Labs, OCZ, Transend, Twinmoss, Kingston and about 30 others. go hear to see what i am talking about. on this page on the far left is the assembler, then 3 over is the chip(manufacturer) they use. http://www.tyan.com/support/html/memory_s2466.html the funny thing is you may have Nanya memory when you buy Corsair or Muskin... Nanya is sold as OEM. stuff i would never use, however you may also get Samsung. i guarantee the lower end memory that Corsair/Mushkin/OCZ sell are stuff like Nanya, however the higher end stuff that is DDR 400 with say 2.3.2 has to be Samsung. nothing else would work that high. although i agree totally with you to not buy memory from some bargin basement website, again i say if you know the vendor is reputable and they sell Samsung memory you will save a small fortune. on the other hand if you do buy the highend Mushkin then your insured of quality as it will be Samsung.. Scott ADK

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b] Mushkin's supposed to be the best on the RAM, but I've had good luck with (genuine) Samsung. absolutely.... A beefy, quiet and reliable power supply of AT LEAST 350 W is required for a single CPU Athlon system. name brand only and 350 is bare minumum, even the Barton cores still require alot more power than the P4's. Enermax, Antec, Zalman, SilenetX to name a few. I'm currently in limbo insofar as upgrading my system. I could toss another half gig of RAM into it and I could swap the current CPU for a Athlon 3400, but the new 64 Bit AMD's are on the way. I may go with one of those... cost be damned. :eek: But then I've also considered doing a dual CPU system now that PT 6.1 supports it. Or maybe I'll just go with what I have for a while and upgrade that CPU after the new ones come out (when the prices drop again). In any event, I'm probably going to wait until September. For now, my system is pretty fast and I can pretty much do whatever I want or need to do with it. :) [/b][/quote]yeah i would wait if your system is keeping you happy. when the Desktop 64 Opterons come out the Dual prices should drop quite abit. The dual Opteron's are already the fastest thing you can buy and if what Alndln say is right... [quote] The Rumours are fairly strong about an upcoming NForce dual to support the upcoming 64.Waiting a few weeks to see how things shake out couldn't hurt. [/quote]it will make a G5 look like a celeron system. (ohh boy here it comes..ducking now) i would say that after Chrismas the Opteron duals will be almost as affordable as Athlon Duals are now. i would wait.. Scott ADK

[quote]Originally posted by Sylver: [b]I was looking at the Mushkin memory ... They don't make matched modules for Dual memory acess? I've heard that can be a problem. Anyone know for sure? Scott? Other thing is it's SOOOO expensive! On average it's roughly double the other "premium" manufacturers! WOW! I've read some good things about the Geil, and the price was right, so that's how I went. I guess we'll see.[/b][/quote]the whole "Dual DDR matched" is a marketing gimic... dont buy into it. what it simply means is you have 2 modules with the same chips on it and the same speed rating, with Eproms that are programed the same. if you buy 2 identical modules from a vendor you have Dual DDR Matched.. Scott ADK

[quote]Originally posted by Bunny La Joya: [b]Does anyone want to go into further detail explaining exactly what SIS means, and why SIS is incompatible with Digi products? This is important to me, as I regularly use PTLE.[/b][/quote]SIS (silicon Integrated Systems)is a Chipset that is the "brain" of the motherboard. companies have to write drivers that get along with these chipsets. everyone writes drivers for Intel chipsets (the big bully) but tend to do less of a job writing for Sis, Nforce, ALI, and worst VIA. Then they also have to write them for cross platform. Windoz,MAC and some even Linux. then they have to support various releases EG Win98/ME XP/2000, then format.. Asio, WDM, DirectX, VST, TDM, TDMHD OSX ETC... some audio card manufacturers will write for everything such as RME where others like DIgi and Motu tend to focus on MAC and then what time is left over they will work on PC based Intel chipsets, leaving litte for Sis ETC. i guess its based on how many chipsets are sold with intel being way in the lead. just like alot of software companies dont write for MAC. i do know that when using Digi or Motu a P4 will guarantee success while AMD chipsets are ify. the Nforce seems to be the mostly likely to succeed with Via being the least. however there are people who have them running on everything. i hope that wasnt too much info. Scott

VIA chipset mobos (Asus A7V333, et al) have been good performers with PT LE systems. What you want to avoid is a mixed chipset mobo with different north and southbridge chipsets. Yeah folks, like I said, I'm going to wait until things are a bit more clear before deciding what to do. If that means I have to wait until September, then so be it. It's only another month or so, and I'll be able to make a better decision then. For now, a Athlon 2700 system is nothing to laugh at, and it meets my current needs. But I'm always down with "more power" he he he! ;)

[quote]Originally posted by kylen: [b]While reading this thread I'm thinking about power supplies & sizings, quiet fans, and munufacturers warranties. Any tips or ideas on these things ?[/b][/quote]check out [url=http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012244]this thread[/url] on PC noise. i posted about some silent PC resources i have found. i plan on building a completely dead-silent PC when i am ready to go new. it is very possible with the right components. robb.

[quote]Originally posted by robb.: [b] [quote]Originally posted by kylen: [b]While reading this thread I'm thinking about power supplies & sizings, quiet fans, and munufacturers warranties. Any tips or ideas on these things ?[/b][/quote]check out [url=http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012244]this thread[/url] on PC noise. i posted about some silent PC resources i have found. i plan on building a completely dead-silent PC when i am ready to go new. it is very possible with the right components. robb.[/b][/quote]well if you want dead silent. SilentMaxx fanless power supply 0DB Pabst fans 14DB SM Cool FLow CPU cooler heatsink 14DB then on top of all that you can by the SilentMaxx ST-11 case which is noise insulated. (or buy your own acoustic insulation. however there really is nothing you can do for drives other than an insulated case. the so called "silent drive bays" will fry a drive from heat over time. none of them allow for the thermal rating oy any new drive. the lony other thing you can do for drives is try to isolate the vibratory noise with rubber groumets like the Antec Sonata. with that said other than spin up i never hear my HDDs. Scott ADK

okay so basically here are the specs on the new comperter. and a few comments relating to them. video card: whoa! there are a lot of these suckers around.. you can literally spend 15 $ or 1500$. you have matrox ATI nvidia. thenyou have all the manufactures of each of those cards... powercolor, saphire , plus the homegrown at's nvidia ect. In the end I went with the ATI radeon 9800 pro. It is a higher end gameing card. I DO plan on putting games, and internet stuff on my new computer, (sorry guys). FOR MOST people this card is too much money, and far higher then they will need. ifyou are building for DAW only , a 50 $ card will work, .. a popular model is the matrox 550 dual head. *disclaimer, careful not to look too far in to benchmarks, and all that stuff, you can really lose sight of your goal here CPU: went with the 2.8c intel P4... just so you know the "c" makes it the 800mhz frount side bus. Mother board: this is the only possible area to compeate with video cards in the mass confusion area. in the end I went with the 865pe neo2-fis2r WORD TO THE WISE - tamshards ware tested this as the fastest mother board, BUT there are 2 issue with this. 1) the reason it tested high was due to the fact it was teh FIS2R version used - this is there only model that uses dunamic overclocking tech. (it overclock the CPU when the load is high so you have more "CPU headroom", then clocks it back down when you don't need it.) ALSO I hear they are getting sued by intel for useing this technolgy (that is supost to only be on the 875's) SO if you ever do a bios update this feature is going down the tubes. Hard drives: I went with 2 western digitial 80 gigs, .. one for system stuff, other for audio. CDRW - I will get back to you. More to come! when I get the time

okay so I forgot to mention the sound card I am useing, .. as this is of parmont importance. I am using the RME multiface. It is a great audio card, sounds great ant the total mix software is incredible. I think rme should make a control surface/digitial mix, it would be great. I run cubase SX, .. and soon nuendo. Kevin Nemrava

Archived