Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Springloaded pitchwheel for Minimoog model D ?

analogholic

Hi everyone,

Got the Kenton Pro Solo MkII Midi-CV/gate for my D. It works perfectly.

One of the reasons I got it, is because it´s impossible for me to use the springless pitchwheel set to a fifth. I sound like a total disaster

Not only that, if I use it (with horrible result) and return it it to center position, the tuning shifts almost a quarter tone, because the center is not totally exact. The wheel moves a little in center position.

Probably worn out a bit I guess...

But the Mini is SO damn cool on it´s own with its great keyboard, so I don´t want to play it from another midicontroller all the time.

1. Is it possible to somehow have a springloaded pitchwheel installed in the Mini?

2. Is it possible to set the range to a major second (2 semitones) ?

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi everyone,

One of the reasons I got it, is because it´s impossible for me to use the springless pitchwheel set to a fifth. I sound like a total disaster.

So, you use a CV out of the Mini to control the pich of any external modules, this w/ PB wheel in addition ?

If this is the case, you have to find a way to limit the PB range at the CV interface itself. I myself did this by a modification ( adjustment pot) at my Roland MPU-101 CV->Midi interface and it works perfect.

[qoute=analogholic]

Not only that, if I use it (with horrible result) and return it it to center position, the tuning shifts almost a quarter tone, because the center is not totally exact. The wheel moves a little in center position.

Probably worn out a bit I guess...

Sign up to the Lords of the Mini yahoo group,- you´ll find a lot of useful info about the MiniD !

There´s a dead-zone mod available for the Mini,- this is sometimes in later Mini Models already by Moog.

You´ll find it in the files section as also service manuals and so on.

But the Mini is SO damn cool on it´s own with its great keyboard, so I don´t want to play it from another midicontroller all the time.

Wise decision !

There´s only one Midi-intrface exsisting for the Mini which let´s you play the Mini w/ portamento via midi,- the Lintronics interface.

This is not possible w/ all the other midi-cv interfaces, even not w/ the MPU-101. In addition,- if you feed the filter input w/ a external CV from a midi interface, the key-follow rocker switches have no influence on the keytracking anymore, resulting in a different sound of the Mini.

1. Is it possible to somehow have a springloaded pitchwheel installed in the Mini?

Look for Minimoog D mods by Google.

I´ve seen some guys who do their own MiniD projects and I´ve seen Mini´s w/ spring loaded wheels as a mod. Most purists don´t like to do this,- me too.

I´ve learned playing the Mini w/ it´s original pitchwheel and range by practising interval-bendings and this to do fast.

It´s possible if you use your ears and your left hand thumb w/ the left hand attached in a fixed position to the enclosure.

Needs some time and practise. Listen to Jan Hammer ... :-)

2. Is it possible to set the range to a major second (2 semitones) ?

Forgive me, but this is the most stupid PB-range setting I´ve always seen all the time and w/ springloaded wheels.

For me, the best is a 5th w/ midi controllers.

A.C.

Thanks man for your informative and wise answer (except for that one with the fifth interval :thu:)

You know, the the major second is "in my hand" since almost 20 years and I much prefer Hancock and Duke over Hammer (even though he´s a monster and the other two probably used a fifth as well)

Damn, didn´t think of the portamento thing when I ordered the Pro solo. The Kenton has it´s own portamento but it´s not as cool as the Mini´s. But I think the filter tracking works though, must check.

I know about the Lintronic interface, but thought at first that you had to send the Mini to him. That´s why I chose the Kenton, and I was in a hurry (never good of course with these things)

I have the "dead zone" in mine, but something glitches a little.

The pitchwheel is a bit loose sideways as well...

No, I don´t control external modules....Yet :), but sounds like cool idea.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Archived