Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wall Hangers, anyone?

Salvador

Hey guys!

Has any of you seen a wall hanger in which you can hang your basses one in front of the other?

My basses are hanging side by side in a closet wall, but since I need the space in which they are (and the list of fishes are soon to grow to 4)I figured that would help.... a lot, and I really want to keep them in the closet (safe from my kids!).

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Salvador

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Take four of these and mount them at equal distances on a piece of 1 x 6 x Z where Z == just under the depth of your closet. Those stands can adjust so the instrument can face any direction so you'll be able to hang them at a 90 degree angle to the piece of wood. Find some studs and screw the piece of wood directly into the studs with 3" wood screws - make your life easier by pre-drilling the holes with a drill bit that is ~half the diameter of the screw and go full depth.

A lot of music stores use wall hangers just like the ones in saxofunk's link, and sometimes they have more than they need. They might be willing to give those extras away or sell them for cheap. I know a guy who keeps a good-sized collection of basses and guitars on hangers he found that way. You might want to check that out.

Here's a tip: Try to eat everything. You'd be surprised how much is edible.

If wall hangers are not needed, you could look at the RockStand stands that can hold 3, 5, or 7 side by side. I have one that holds 3 and looking to get a 7 for the closet as I think it will fit.

Otherwise, yea, the hercules look like a good choice.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

I have one of these. It works well, though I do recommend mounting to a stud as opposed to relying on the wall anchor option that comes with the kit.

Bump's suggestion would be my pick for your particular situation.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Take four of these and mount them at equal distances on a piece of 1 x 6 x Z where Z == just under the depth of your closet. Those stands can adjust so the instrument can face any direction so you'll be able to hang them at a 90 degree angle to the piece of wood. Find some studs and screw the piece of wood directly into the studs with 3" wood screws - make your life easier by pre-drilling the holes with a drill bit that is ~half the diameter of the screw and go full depth.

Bingo.

If the closet is small, you can get more hangers doing what Bump said. Hang them at a 90 degree angle to the side walls. Just mount them on very heavey base, well attached to the studs.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Here in earthquake country, I don't think I'd want to hang the basses on the wall.

Of course, if the entire house collapses, it doesn't really matter where I put them. The whole house collapsing is unlikely even if there is a major earthquake, and if it does happen, basses will be the least of my worries. Food and water will be a little more important.

If you are worried about your kids damaging the basses, the proper solution would be to leave the basses out and hang the kids on the wall.

If you are worried about your kids damaging the basses, the proper solution would be to leave the basses out and hang the kids on the wall.

Excellent idea.

Just think of all the spare time, money & space you'd have if you locked your kids in the closet all the time!

I like the wall hangers that slide into a slat wall so I can reposition them and perhaps add more. I cut a homemade slat wall from a piece of pine as per photo below. It's working out well for me, but then the grandkids don't go into that room. :/ Most of my basses live in the closet inside their cases, I just hang a few, in rotation, to enjoy them or practice.

http://www.doublebass.biz/goll-wall.jpg

1000 Upright Bass Links, Luthier Directory, Teacher Directory - http://www.gollihurmusic.com/links.cfm

[highlight] - Life is too short for bad tone - [/highlight]

Archived