Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gig report: Just because I want to share..

Ross Brown

I played well. Guitarist was uncharacteristically bad. Trouble with pedal board. He also absolutly destroyed (in a bad way) Midnight Rider. He could not remember the riff (he has been playing it for years). We transition to that song from Can't you See. It was a last minute add in due to a request. Some other songs were junk... About 3/4 of our set list was very good though. Strange night.

Now I know what it feels like to be in that situation... He finally gave up and tried to just go to the chorus. Good idea, but it didn't work. When we came back to the riff with the hopes of getting to the verse, the same stupidness came out of him. Honestly it was funny as hell. He is the best guitarist I have played with and it cracked me up to see him be human.

Place was packed and got lots of very good feedback from the crowd throughout the night. Even had a young kid (~25YO) who thought I was the best thing he had ever seen play the bass. It was nice. Just goes to show you, even when you think it is an off night, most people still don't focus on the bad.

I thought about sending the sheet music to the guitarist for Midnight Rider but I suppose I won't be a dick this time...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like you're somebody's hero Ross. It's too bad the guit player had an off night. I guess even the best have off nights.

Glad to hear it basically went well though.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

ever have a good night playing wise, but still kick your keyboard player and your own power out of the wall twice?? That was my bad this past Thursday, Lol! Good job on making a new fan! It's the best feeling when someone genuinely likes what you do.

Carvin Bunny Brunel Signature 5 String, ESP LTD 5 String, Ampeg SVT3, Ampeg 4x10 and 1x18

www.captaincutthroat.com

ever have a good night playing wise, but still kick your keyboard player and your own power out of the wall twice?? That was my bad this past Thursday, Lol!

Nice...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Nice one Ross, must have felt good to have someone complementing after the train wreck. :)

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

A g****ist that played like crap? Naaaaaaaah, it couldn't be. I have NEVER had that happen. Those 6-stringers walk to high amongst the Gods to make an error * hee hee hee! *

Yea... this guy is actually good though. Not to full of himself either... Kind of an oddity..

Yea... this guy is actually good though. Not to full of himself either... Kind of an oddity..

Isn't there a 12-step program for that?

I'll just OT'ly brag on my guitar player for probably being the most mature member of our trio outfit, simply in terms of caring about the song more than his individual part.

Then again he does get to solo whenever he wants, and it's usually he who juggles singing and playing, which probably keeps him as happy as a Clapton. But seriously... he's been a good example for me to learn from about not being, as Jeremy once said to me, a "mindless overplaying clone". This last year I have really reined it in, following Adlar's example, and am very glad I have.

Anyways... go back to guitar player bashing! I'm done.

If the audience can roll with whatever happens, that makes it easier. I've also seen where one trainwreck in an otherwise solid evening doesn't turn the crowd off at all.

Glad to see you got some recognition. I'm always a bit awkward about someone telling me how well I've played. The thing I remember is that every player is in a different place, so maybe I (or you) do something good that another player has never had to try. And don't forget that you are the only person who can play like you.

My guitar guys are very low-key. It's most likely that they'll talk down their own playing - even when they are doing well.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

He also absolutly destroyed (in a bad way) Midnight Rider. He could not remember the riff (he has been playing it for years).
And you didn't come in with the riff to save his butt? :o:D

Sometimes it's a good thing to know the whole song, not just the bass part.

ever have a good night playing wise, but still kick your keyboard player and your own power out of the wall twice?? That was my bad this past Thursday, Lol! Good job on making a new fan! It's the best feeling when someone genuinely likes what you do.
I only kicked the singer's guitar patch cord out of her pedals once. It happened to be run right in front of my mic and I was stepping up sing lead on "The One I Love" (R.E.M.). So I stoop down to fix it and everyone just extended the intro until I resurfaced.

Shtuff happens.

Place was packed and got lots of very good feedback from the crowd throughout the night. Even had a young kid (~25YO) who thought I was the best thing he had ever seen play the bass. It was nice. Just goes to show you, even when you think it is an off night, most people still don't focus on the bad.
Good on you! :thu:

He also absolutly destroyed (in a bad way) Midnight Rider. He could not remember the riff (he has been playing it for years).
And you didn't come in with the riff to save his butt? :o:D

Sometimes it's a good thing to know the whole song, not just the bass part.

Yes Sir, I absolutly did. He just could not get it. That was what was funny. This guy plays like Jimmi Hendrix and he could not come up with that riff to say his life. I played it for him but it just did not click. :laugh:

Archived