Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bob Dylan

Tea For One

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any thoughts on ol' Zimmy? I went to a local used record shop today and brought home FREEWHEELIN BOB DYLAN, BLOOD ON THE TRACKS, and HIGHWAY 61 REVISITED. It's a good day!! :)

He was "my hero" in my "formative years".

All my vinyl is either ruined or lost, but I've got the Freewheelin' Bob Dylan (imho, the best) and the "best of" one, which is pretty good actually on CD.

I've still got all my music books of his stuff though. When I unpack them I'll let all ya'all know what they are. I think it was "Positvely 4th Street Blues" that was my fave ta' play.

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

"Blood on the Tracks" is my favorite.

The songs are all great and extremely heartfelt (check out "You're A Big Girl Now", "Simple Twist of Fate").

Dylan's playing and vocals are exceptional throughout the album.

I know that Dylan is often cryptic in revealing the sources for his songs, but I believe that this album chronicles the breakup of his marriage to Sara.

"Blood on the Tracks" is my favorite.

The songs are all great and extremely heartfelt (check out "You're A Big Girl Now", "Simple Twist of Fate").

Dylan's playing and vocals are exceptional throughout the album.

+1. :thu:

I know that Dylan is often cryptic in revealing the sources for his songs, but I believe that this album chronicles the breakup of his marriage to Sara.
Yeah, I think that's right.

http://bp3.blogger.com/_IHL4cs57bg4/SA9kY-UPQgI/AAAAAAAACSo/yVks6EpuPic/s320/Bob+Dylan+-+Desire.jpg

My fave Dylan album! :thu:

I like that one, especially "Isis", but he did (IMHO) better versions of it on the Rolling Thunder Review (there's videos of them on YouTube) Not very sold on the track "Mozambique". Rhyming "Mozambique" and "dancing cheek-to-cheek" is a bit too Tin-Pan Alley for my taste. :D "One More Cup Of Coffee" is also pretty good.

If I had to have a favourite, I'd go for either "Freewheelin'", "Bringing It All Back Home", the first album ("Bob Dylan") or perhaps "Blood On The Tracks".

Dylan question: If he was already using a band on "Freewheelin'" (on "Corinna, Corinna") why were people so shocked that he went electric?

:cool: I absolutely love Highway 61 Revisited, it's a great album; but truthfully, it's the only Dylan album that I've ever had and listened to in its entirety. No particular reason, just- so much music out there, so little time!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Not very sold on the track "Mozambique". Rhyming "Mozambique" and "dancing cheek-to-cheek" is a bit too Tin-Pan Alley for my taste.

There's plenty of forced syntax that makes me shudder on that song, for sure - "Is very nice, to stay there, we could do...and maybe fall in love, just me and you" :freak:

Actually my favorite tracks off the album would be "Black Diamond Bay" and "One More Cup Of Coffee" - "Hurricane" is solid, but a bit preachy towards the end...

I like the song that's not Hurricane, where the judge asks the accused what the time is and when the guy replies "five to ten" the judge says "That's exactly what you get!".

Ok... it's highly unlikely that such a thing would ever happen (way too much coincidence) but I always found it funny as hell.

You mean "Joey" - another fine yarn, probably written right about the same time as The Godfather came out.

The police department hounded him, they called him Mr. Smith

They got him on conspiracy, they were never sure who with

"What time is it" said the judge to Joey when they met

"Five to ten" said Joey. The judge says, "That's exactly what you get".

Yeah, that's the one! :D He's got some great lines, eh? I've always liked the one in "Subterranean Homesick Blues",

The man in the coon-skin cap wants eleven dollar bills,

You only got ten

That's genius! :D Great video for it, too. :thu: Even the liner notes can be amazing. My favourite is

http://www.bobdylan.com/linernotes/bringing.html

I had a singer once who could quote the whole thing!

Dylan's one of the greats, if he didn't exist, someone would have had to invent him.

Yeah, that's the one! :D He's got some great lines, eh? I've always liked the one in "Subterranean Homesick Blues",

The man in the coon-skin cap wants eleven dollar bills,

You only got ten

That's genius! :D Great video for it, too. :thu: Even the liner notes can be amazing. My favourite is

http://www.bobdylan.com/linernotes/bringing.html

I had a singer once who could quote the whole thing!

Dylan's one of the greats, if he didn't exist, someone would have had to invent him.

Yeah, he's great!

One of my faves is "Alice's Restaurant". I couldn't recite all the lyrics, but I could play the whole thing. And I always knew when to come in with the lyrics. "Just wait until it comes around on the geetar again."

I had, still have I think, the sheet music for that one and transposed it to chords I could play. Then I picked off the chords with the "Claw" picking sequence (strings 4,1,3,2,5,1,3,2,4,1,3,1, etc.). My teacher said it was "...a pretty good fake...". ;)

But my all time fave is "The Motorcycle Song", because I was riding one at the time. "I don't want a pickle. Just wanna' ride my mo... ooo... torrrr... cycle." After driving off the narrow, twisty mountain road... "As luck would have it, and.... ...I landed on a police car and didn't die. The cops died." And then, "...drove into town at eighty miles an hour, slid up to... ...and got off... the kickstand down. That's the kinda' attitude ya' gotta' sing this with."

Dave.... I hate to embarass you but....

Those are both songs by Arlo Guthrie, not Bob Dylan.... :(

Ooops! :blush: Of course... you're right.

I liked all the other ones mentioned though. And as I think I said earlier, my fave to play was "Positively Fourth Street Blues".

I'll blame it on the heat here. The house A/C can't even keep up with it, over 100 today. The house is down to 75 now...

Dylan has written some cool tunes, but I was never taken with him as an icon, or "spokesman for his generation". He actually didn't like all that nonsense, either - at least he complained about it publicly.

I heard him say (in a program about him) "people tell me 'I know you through your songs'. THEY DON'T KNOW ME!". And of course he was right!

Archived