Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"reverse" pick?????

Moonfish

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he means playing with the pick turned around and using the fat end in stead of the point. I've tried it that way and found it a little bit harder to control but I guess it's just a matter of getting used to it.

Billy Gibbons actually plays with the serrated edge of a Mexican Peso. They get 'em by the hundreds down there in Texas. That's how he gets his pinch harmonics.

I learned that in Guitar Player Magazine!!

Was that the issue with Avenged Sevenfold on the cover? If so, I also remember him saying in order to get good harmonics to use the "fat side of the pick."

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Was that the issue with Avenged Sevenfold on the cover? If so, I also remember him saying in order to get good harmonics to use the "fat side of the pick."

I think that was the most recent reference in Guitar Player as to how Billy gets the "pinch harmonics" but I read about the Mexican Peso in some other past issue. I can't remember the issue off the top of my head since I've been reading it for so many years. Although, I could be the innocent victim of Billy's "Don't let the truth get in the way of the story" style. ;)

Here's an interesting website that claims that they make the Peso Pick specifically for Billy.

http://www.pesopicks.com/www.pesopicks.com/index.html

Not sure which other famous guitarists play with the fat side of the pick but thats the way I hold the pick mostly because they always seem to rotate to the fat side any way.

I remember a thread about picking with the fat side not to long ago. Try a search on the subject and see what comes up.

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

I know I've read of quite a few famous players who do this.

I'm certainly not famous or even much of anything to write home about as a player, but when I occasionally use a pick (I play fingerstyle nearly 100% of the time, no matter the style or sound), I sometimes use the broader, rounder end for different things. That can be a pretty cool option to the pointy end! :cool:

What's more important to me, though, is the pick itself: its material, and the overall shape- I like sculpted picks like those Dunlop "Big Stubby"-picks, or little teardrop-shaped mandolin picks that I warm and bend to be curved and concave, and then I file and buff the edge to be smooth and radiused. I think that either of these shapes would be great made from Mammoth-tusk fossil-ivory (I also have an old "Tuskbuffer" flat-pick - remember Tuskbuffer?- that a friend gave me), but I haven't gotten around to getting any fossil-ivory for trying to make any; after all, the picks I DO have are pretty neglected! :D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I often play with the stubby end for fast, sweepy runs and smoother rhythm parts.

My favourite pick was a gift from a friend from Paris, it's an exceptionally smooth, sculpted pick made from walrus tusk (I'm sure it's illegal or something). It's thicker, and has grooves deigned to fit the way you hold it (only for righties, sorry, lefties). It's without a doubt, the best and most expressive lead guitar pick I've ever played.

I'd use it all the time, but it's just too hard and unforgiving for rhythm parts, which I take very seriously.

My regular picks are custom-made Steve Clayton mediums (band logo on one side, my signature on the other). Stupidly ego-maniacal, but they're fun and it takes forever to go through 100 picks!

Nash-customized Gibson Les Paul, Godin Progression Plus

Quilter MicroPro Mach 2.0

Archived