Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

IEMs

Jazz+

Which custom molded in-ear monitors?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which custom molded in-ear monitors?

Which IEMs do you like?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How did you decide?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

We had several Nashville artists and producers recommend 'Ultimate Ears' to us. We started out just getting a pair for our main singers. UE were so easy to work with and did so much more than was asked or expected. And that fact that they make a superior product doesn't hurt either. Now the whole band has custom pairs of UE10 Pro's with sennheiser body packs. UE has bent over backwards to help us anytime we need something. I can't imagine using anything else.

A word about famous artist 'endorsements'; just because a famous artist uses or appears in print ads with 'xyz' brand piece of gear doesn't always mean that 'xyz' brand gear is the best or perfect for your needs. Mike McKnight is 100% correct when he talks about nothing really being free and that you're better off buying the gear/software that you like/need. Major gear manufacturers are notorius for lavishing gear on high profile musicians - and the 'high profile' musicians don't always appriciate it. It only breeds a sense of entitlement and a warped 'what can I get for free' mentality. (Just my view from the sidelines.)

www.cityprayz.com

www.thesalvationpoem.com

That's interesting. My audiologist says he can custom mold for Sure products too. It seems to me then that Ultimate Ears is adding on a large mark up in price.

Just to clarify for everyone - Ultimate Ears do not use Shure components in their in ears. Their website makes no mention of it and the UE's sound 3 times better. (IMHO) :) This is a common misconception since the founder of UE, Jerry Harvey, was on the design team that conceptualized and manufactured the Shure E1 and the Shure E5, the first universal-fit dual-driver monitors.

http://homerecording.about.com/od/interviewstipstricks/a/ultimateears1.htm

Also, an audiologist can make molds of your ears for pretty much any company. They all use the same ear molds and it's the same technology for making hearing aids - like my grandmother had 15 - 20 years ago.

When we made the decision to use IEM's in 2006, we tested all of Shure's IEM's and found out for ourselves that the UE's were superior in everyway. My iPod has never sounded better and live I appreciate the extra bass response. They also are great in the studio. I also have the $99 Bose consumer IEM's - they're nice for the iPod but the UE's win that match up too.

I realize that not everyone can spend $700 - $1000 on IEM's, but for us the service that comes with the UE's is worth it. Mindy Harvey at UE has always bent over backwards to help us out no matter what we need or want. For us that speaks volumes. :cool:

Just my 2 cents - your milage may vary - it's all subjective :blah:

www.cityprayz.com

www.thesalvationpoem.com

I heard that every company buys their drivers from the same source and that the most expensive ones available are only $8 each. The price for IEMs is based on the design, labor, marketing, overhead and a huge markup.

Jazz+ - if you would like a set of 'molded' IEM's in the $200-$300 range, a company to check out is Live Wires.

I have not personally used them but I've run into different Nashville musicians who use them and are happy. For $249 plus shipping and applicable tax you can have a set of custom molded IEM's. I'm not aware of another company offering 'molded' IEM's at that price. If anyone knows anything - please correct me.

Not to keep pushing UE at you, but their Super.fi 5 series might fit your needs and are within your price range. You very well might be happy with a pair of Shure SCL3's or SCL4's. Or even the $99 Bose. My iPod does sound great with the Bose but of course the UE's sound better. (Which they should for the extra $800 that they cost.)

For the record, we carry extra sets of the SCL4's for guest musicians who join us and don't have their own molded IEM's and they work just fine. I had a pair of the original Shure E2's about 4 years ago which I gave away - to me they sounded thin and had very little sparkle.

So for $249 I'm not aware of anyone else who will make you 'molded' IEM's besides Live Wires. Everyone else offers stock ear pieces and some of them have adjustable foam for customization. You have quite a few choices in your price range and it really is subjective.

Hopefully this helps and hopefully I didn't add confusion to your decision. :)

www.cityprayz.com

www.thesalvationpoem.com

Thanks, I ordered LiveWires custom molded in ear monitors.

http://www.livewiresforyou.com/

http://www.livewiresforyou.com/images/livewires_shot1_shadow.jpg

Question. Where did you get the molds taken? I have custom molded earplugs with 2 kinds of filters that an audiologist made for me 5+ years ago. Not sure if those would be re-usable for IEM mold purposes?

If the filters that your plugs use are Etymotic, you can get adapters and use the plugs with the Etymotic ER-6.

I think if you want or need new earplugs new molds have to be taken.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived