Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

5 strings at last!

Barks

I have finally bought myself a 5 string bass to see what all the fuss is about. I guess you can't have an opinion about these things if you haven't tried one properly.

Anyway, I went mad and bought a nice one. Skjold Lions Pride.

Any good advice for the transfer process to a 5 from a 4 would be appreciated. Should I just put the 4 away for a while or is it best to use the 5 a little bit at a time?

Neil.

'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...To get acclimated, put your thumb on the "B" string and just continue playing the E A D G as you normally do.

Then work your way down to the "B".

Except that I don't anchor my thumb anywhere when I play, +1.

Pretty bass!

Just tear into it. It may take awhile but you'll get the hang of it and yes, put the 4 away. Maybe even leave it at a neighbors for awhile.

Be conscious of what you play on your A string. Anything B or above just go "Hey, wait a second" and play it on the fat one up top. Better yet, play both at once. :thu:

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

The two biggest adjustments to make are probably going to be string spacing and neck width. The low B will flop around a lot more than the E, just by nature.

When I had my 5er (new one coming soon, I hope :thu:), I used the low B for those occasions when I had to be up on the neck doing stuff and I had to grab a low E or F for something and didn't have to run down the whole neck for the note; I could grab it off the B. I rarely played anything lower than a D, maybe C, only 2 or 3 times I used the B. I found it to be more of a convenience and for the occasional something extra.

Good luck, hope you like it.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Beautiful finish on that bass. We need some details on that sucker! Hard to tell in that image, but do I see some very defined wood grain patterns on the fingerboard?

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

Ooohh!! I like that one too. What a great finish color. I need some info on this one 'cause I really don't know anything about Skjold basses. Is it active?

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Ooohh!! I like that one too. What a great finish color. I need some info on this one 'cause I really don't know anything about Skjold basses. Is it active?

No. It pretty much just lays there.

:rimshot:

sorry...had to

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

I tend to use my low b more and more everyday. Initially the singer wouldn't notice now the guy smiles everytime I use it, just laying down a BIG bottom while the rest of the band is going for it

Nice fish, it will take a while for you to become use to it, but don't stress yourself.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm quite enjoying the bass up to now. The big challenge will be the first rehearsal I suppose.

The bass is really nice. The spec is as follows (from Bass Direct website):

Skjold Lions Pride A style Pro

This is the Skjold take on a Jazz© bass design with a modern twist. This bass features a solid Ash body with a stunning tobacco burst finish, fornt and back. The neck is comfortable and fast with great access to all notes across the neck. The B string is full and clear and playable in all positions up and down the classy maple fingerboard. At 8 11oz this bass is very comfortable and balanced to play and has the added benefit of the new East/Skjold custom two band pre-amp with active four position blend (pan) for the pickups with either; front pickup, both pickups in series, both pickups in parallel, back pickup.

Skjold Lions Pride A style Pro

5 string - 18mm string spacing at bridge

Solid Swamp Ash Body

3 piece Maple neck with slim C section profile

Morado Fingerboard (Pau Ferro) - compound radius from 12" at the nut to 18" at the 24th fret

35" Scale - 21 fret

Vintage Tobacco Burst, front and back (£300 option)

Matching Heel

Black Custom Skjold/Hipshot hardware, A-style aluminium bridge, ultralight tuners, strap locks

Two Skjold Custom SC1 Pickups

East/Skjold 2 band pre amp, Treble, Bass (boost only), Volume, 4 way custom active pan (rear p'up, both p'ups parallel, both p'ups series, front p'up)

Skjold Pro Tec Soft/Hard case

Weight - 8lb 11oz, 3.9kgs

That should cover it...!

Neil. :cool:

'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

I love the feel of 5-strings. I've had a 6'er for about a year (or less) now, but I can't seem to find any use for the high C. So my next bass will probably be a 5'er again. At least I tried :)

Your bass looks beautiful :thu:

Too bad there's that huge pond between us Dave. It'd be fun to swap fishies for awhile. I've been wanting a TRB6 and I'm pretty sure I could find a way to use that C string.

Yes, I love the looks of the Skjold too.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Too bad there's that huge pond between us Dave. It'd be fun to swap fishies for awhile. I've been wanting a TRB6 and I'm pretty sure I could find a way to use that C string.

Yes, I love the looks of the Skjold too.

That would be cool :) Truth be told, my approach to our beloved instrument has been somewhat lacking as of late. I seem to be in a rut and find it hard to climb out of it. That said, I'm positive I'll rekindle that flame o' love for the fish, and will find a way to incorporate the high C.

First thing I'm going to try is change the strings (it's got light-gauge Marcus Miller DR High Beams or something on it, they sound good but not for the genre I play nor tone I aspire), then change the batteries and have the wiring checked. The bass lacks balls for some reason, and I know it should not.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

That is definitely not your run-of-the-mill-crapperware! I'd never heard of Skjold before, but I've heard of them now, and that is some nice looking stuff. Great catch!

I think you'll like the swamp ash + pau ferro combination. I used to have a bass (MM Sterling) with those woods and it sounded lovely.

Yep, put the 4 away and just live the 5. It's easier than you think it will be. But it does require putting in the time.

Who knows what will happen. Some guys get going on the 5, & they find they don't want anything else. Some guys, on the other hand, find that they'd still just rather play the 4; I'm that kind of guy, fwiw. Either way, it's good to have a 5. (And yet I still sold mine in order to buy more 4s! :D )

I love the feel of 5-strings. I've had a 6'er for about a year (or less) now, but I can't seem to find any use for the high C. So my next bass will probably be a 5'er again. At least I tried :)

Your bass looks beautiful :thu:

That was what happened to me with a 5, once u get used to it, you won't be coming back

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Archived