Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Replacement bass speakers for Leslie 760's

ArnoldLayne

I was given 2 leslie 760's and a Hammond M2 about 7 years ago. :) The bass speakers were missing from the leslie's.

Since I finished my basement last summer I moved my other keys down there and would like to get the Hammond up and running.

I have been searching for proper replacements for them and this is what I have found:

http://www.mitatechs.com/hammond.html#075

Part #514-031070 for $256 each. I haven't determined make or model for these but I am waiting a response from the website. The website were I got the part number stated 4 ohm speakers.

and these from https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

15A200

$210.00

For Leslie 122 woofer use. Replaces Chicago Jensen P15LL.

15", 40oz AlNiCo magnet, 40 watt, 2" voice coil, straight cone.

Loud, big low end, used as bass woofer in rotating speaker cabinets, compressed at higher volumes.

15F200

$105.00

For Leslie 122 woofer replacement. Same tone as the Chicago Jensen P15LL with ceramic punch.

15", 40oz ceramic magnet, 40 watt, 2" voice coil, smooth cone.

Loud, big low end, used as bass woofer in rotating speaker cabinets.

Does anyone know if the 760's came stock with the Jensen P15LL speakers? I would assume they were AlNiCo back then, right?

What about the difference in the AlNiCo vs. Ceramic (besides the noticeable price one)?

One more thing, the 760's were rated at 90w and these speakers all appear to be 40w. Typical technical reasons for this beyond my scope or not a good match?

Sorry for the multiple questions but I'm ready to pull the trigger and I'm confused.

Thanks in advance,

Prophet 6, '38 Hammond BC, HR40, 2 Leslie 760's, Prophet 08 PE, RD700GX, Ensoniq E-Prime, SCI Pro-One, TX-7, CP80, Arturia VI's

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 760 was solid-state. I would assume the speakers are therefor 8ohms, instead of 16ohms like the speakers in a tube-based Leslie.

If you're still using the solid-state amp of the 760, then you would need an 8ohm woofer. If you're going to replace the amp with a tube-amp, you'd need a 16ohm speaker.

This is what I just ordered from Weber after an exhaustive search for information:

ORDER DETAIL

[item # 1]

1 item 15F150B subtotal = $ 105.00 (No Tax)

Vintage Series Ceramic 15 inch Speaker

* Impedance - 4 Ohms

* Power - 50 watts

[item # 2]

1 item 15F150 subtotal = $ 105.00 (No Tax)

Vintage Series Ceramic 15 inch Speaker

* Impedance - 4 Ohms

* Power - 50 watts

While I was double checking the connectors I looked behind my M2 and saw the leslie connector kit, it is missing the fuse and the fuse cap! I must have lost it while I was moving the organ around while I was finishing my basement.

Connector part number 043075 - Arnold needs fuse and fuse cap. Off to Radio Shack after I spend 3 more weeks trying to find out what type of fuse...

Of course, if anyone feels like pulling their Hammond away from the wall far enough to check this out and let me know, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Prophet 6, '38 Hammond BC, HR40, 2 Leslie 760's, Prophet 08 PE, RD700GX, Ensoniq E-Prime, SCI Pro-One, TX-7, CP80, Arturia VI's

Archived