Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender bass necks

Barks

I am looking for a 70's Fender neck for my 78 P Bass as a replacement for its original fretless neck. I'm not really playing fretless at all currently and it seems such a shame to not use what is a pretty nice bass.

I have a couple of questions though...

1) Would either a P Bass or a J Bass neck fit my basses body?

2) Would it need to be a 4 bolt rather than a 3 bolt if I did find a J Bass neck?

3) Has anyone ever bought from this guy on ebay? 'finditonlyhere'

I am tempted by some of the necks available from this seller but wondered if it was slightly 'dodgy'.

I am based in the UK and there doesn't seem to be quite the choice available over here as there is in the good old USA.

Thanks

Neil.

'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) Would either a P Bass or a J Bass neck fit my basses body?

Either one should fit. (See below though)

2) Would it need to be a 4 bolt rather than a 3 bolt if I did find a J Bass neck?

Whichever your bass has.

Your 78 Precision should gain in value over the years, therefore; I would certainly retain the original neck. Ideally you should look for a Fender three bolt neck so that you will not need to redrill the body for the 4th hole. If you get an after market neck, mounting it with only three bolts (screws) would be fine. Maybe you can use an aftermarket neck while searching for the correct neck.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

To Rocky's point, I wouldn't mess with that bass -- you're liable to reduce the value.

Better to put it aside or sell it, and get what you want.

It's times like this that I wish I'd kept my '76 j-bass stock.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

Archived