Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

audacity recording problem.

Derrick1642607670

Ok so im recording straight from my br600 to my computer using audacity. My problem is that every time I record a track Audacity automatically positions the track differently than it was originally recorded so for example If Im recording a basic rhythm and lead track when I put the lead over the rhythm when played back the lead will be either ahead or behind the rhythm track. Its hard to put into words but maybe you guys have had this problem too?

Thanks,

Derrick

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can ping for latency in Audacity and it will automatically make the correction or you can manually adjust that correction IIRC. {edit: I was thinking of Tracktion. I can't find a manual or auto "ping" in Audacity. end edit}

Another issue is if the cursor is anywhere but the home position and you transfer a pre-recorded take into any recording software. In that case it will put the head of the new track wherever the cursor is located during the import.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

In Traction (see edit, above) the program sends a signal to the input from the program's output to see what latency occurs in the transfer. It then offers you the opportunity to lock that number of milliseconds in as an offset. Each new track is pushed forward by "x" milleseconds to ensure its' alignment with previously recorded tracks.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Is this it?

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/4422/4422sp3.shtml

Looks fairly good to me. The lack of a sound card may be an issue, but if you're only recording a few tracks, with no direct x plug-ins, you should be completely fine.

Make sure that no other programs are running. Make sure that you have a lot of empty space and the drive. If possible, set the drive you are recording to, to be a different drive then the OS is on. Try defraging the drive, empty the temp folders and then empty the trash.

All sort of things can cause this problem.

Also, Neil's suggestion that you may be importing the track a little ahead, may be the correct solution, so try to watch where the cursor is when you import.

Ok I did all the above and I try to double check everything is closed and I've also been on audacity's help site and they said to update to the newest version which didn't work but the new version has a setting for this problem called latency delay or something along the lines I can't remember but unfortunately it doesn't work..

Latency delay is exactly what I was talking about. I need to upgrade my Audacity. It's a few years old. ;)

Tracktion is not free but it is a powerful, fairly intuitive, recording software package. Check it out at the Mackie website. Also, if you still need a real recording interface several are packaged with Tracktion.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived