Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Replacement Pickguards?

Rowbee

As I've mentioned on previous threads, I recently bought a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz which I'm really happy with. However, I'm quite into customising my basses just a little to my own personal preferences.

I personally reckon it might look quite nice with a tortoiseshell pickguard instead of the stock black one. The problem is that after doing a little research, I don't believe the pickguard is any way a standard Fender size or shape.

Does anyone know of any good websites that might be able to supply me with one?

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was on the Fender forums that I read the dimensions were different. Someone on there suggested there are pickguard suppliers online who would make one for you if you posted them a traced template of your existing one. I don't have a standard Fender Jazz to hand to compare it to so I have no point of reference - does anyone else have both the VMJ and a standard Jazz who could maybe check?

Davo, thanks for the links - I really like the Highly Strung site and if I'm wrong (definitely possible) then I'll certainly consider contacting them for my pickguard.

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

I don't know about the new Vintage Mod. Squiers but the regular Squiers are different from Fender Standard series. The pickguard suppliers should be able to advise you on fitment.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Hey Rowbee,

There's a very good chance that they will be different. The screw hole locations could be different, for example. And some P's and P styles may be routed differently too. I found that to be true when I bought an American guard and put it on a P copy bass.

Check out Pickguards.com for custom guards. You can send them a template and get one cut exactly like yours. The tortoise shell are expensive though.

Let us know how it goes.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Rowbee, just realised I was given a Jazz pickguard when I bought my Jaco! Don't know why although obviously the Jaco Jazz doesn't have a pickguard. Anyway I've got it here somewhere.

If I can find it you can have it.

How's that for a deal. I seem to think it is the classic red tortoiseshell finish.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Thanks everyone, you've all been really helpful. Davo, I'll PM you later so we can sort out something and if that doesn't work I can go to pickguards.com or contact highlystrung.co.uk to see if they can help. :)

There are pickguards that don´t fit well at all. I bought a cream pearl pickguard for my Fender J-bass from Choppers Music in Canada over ebay. The transaction went fine and the pickguard looked nice but I had to file it quite a lot around the neck to be able to screw it on. In the end there is still an uneven gap between the pickguard and the control plate. My bass is MIJ, which might have something to do with the fit.
What ever...

This is actually quite interesting and perhaps highlights a slight difference in either the design or just the manufacturing of the various Jazz models.

Years ago I replaced the pickguard on a Squier P-bass with one from Allparts that was for a Standard P. It sort of fit. I had to drill a few new holes as well as do a little Dremel-shaping on the pickup opening and the neck pocket.
Push the button Frank.

This is actually quite interesting and perhaps highlights a slight difference in either the design or just the manufacturing of the various Jazz models.

Since I had the mishap with my P bass guard I looked for others on eBay. In one ad a knowledgeable seller recommended you buy his guard for an American P only, and for all others you needed to get the 'overseas' guard. So it sounds like this problem is common among all Fender basses.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Archived