Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP RANDY RHOADS -- 3/19/1982

VeloDoug

26 Years ago today...

Listen to some tunes... learn some licks... find some way to honor Randy today. Cheers.

MUSCLE:91 Mesa Mk4(rack mounted)|Mesa F30|Mesa Nomad45|'78 Marshall 4x12

HEART:07 Gibson LP Std 50s Neck|86 Jackson Soloist|92 PRS Custom 24|01 PRS Singlecut|Taylor 814ce|MIM Strat

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes he did and he had desires of studying classical more deeply. he was a reluctant guitar god.

had he lived he would most likely have quit rock and focused on classical.

Yeah, when Randy expressed his desire to part ways with Ozzy, he received a drunken fist in the face, I never really liked Ozzy that much.

Technically Zan I guess you're right, but Randy was not responsible for his death.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Yeah, when Randy expressed his desire to part ways with Ozzy, he received a drunken fist in the face, I never really liked Ozzy that much.

I'm pretty well-versed in the history of Randy and have never heard about this before. He had been quoted as maybe wanting to leave 'rock-and-roll' to dedicate himself to classical guitar study, perhaps in university, but never to my knowledge specifically wanting to leave Ozzy. In fact, on more than one occasion he had expressed his gratitude to Ozzy for the opportunities he presented. Can you quote your sources?

HEART:07 Gibson LP Std 50s Neck|86 Jackson Soloist|92 PRS Custom 24|01 PRS Singlecut|Taylor 814ce|MIM Strat

A great player. It's a shame he died, as it would have been cool to see where he took his playing......

Didn't he have some classical guitar training??

Yes... when on tour, he'd pull out the yellow pages in most cities and find someone to take a classical lesson with. At many of his lessons, he'd end up being the one doing the teaching and still pay the instructor.

Check out "Dee" on "Blizzard of Ozz"... a nice little Bach-esque piece dedicated to his mother, Delores. You've probably heard me playing this years ago on the Ovation you gave me when I was 18.

I'm pretty well-versed in the history of Randy and have never heard about this before. He had been quoted as maybe wanting to leave 'rock-and-roll' to dedicate himself to classical guitar study, perhaps in university, but never to my knowledge specifically wanting to leave Ozzy. In fact, on more than one occasion he had expressed his gratitude to Ozzy for the opportunities he presented. Can you quote your sources?

about a year ago, I had subscribed to Guitar World :rolleyes:

They did a cover story on Randy, with all sorts of interesting stuff, including his first meeting with EVH. I'm in the middle of trying to find it

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Here's an excerpt:

Somewhere in the midst of the mayhem, Randy Rhoads began to lose his appetite for the rock and roll circus. "In the short term, Blizzard was a great break for Randy," says Daisley, "but in the long term he wasn't that interested in what this business represents. That's why he wanted to get out of it. When Ozzy found out that Randy wanted to quit the band and dedicate himself to playing classical guitar music, he punched him in the face. It was a tacky thing to do to such a little bloke." In time, the incident blew over, and the closeness of the Osbourne-Rhoads triumvirate became a reality again.

Here's an excerpt:

Somewhere in the midst of the mayhem, Randy Rhoads began to lose his appetite for the rock and roll circus. "In the short term, Blizzard was a great break for Randy," says Daisley, "but in the long term he wasn't that interested in what this business represents. That's why he wanted to get out of it. When Ozzy found out that Randy wanted to quit the band and dedicate himself to playing classical guitar music, he punched him in the face. It was a tacky thing to do to such a little bloke." In time, the incident blew over, and the closeness of the Osbourne-Rhoads triumvirate became a reality again.

OK... I wouldn't take that quote at face value, though. You may know that Bob Daisley (and Lee Kerslake) has been in a long, drawn-out legal battle with Ozzy over royalties... which has been so bitter that Ozzy re-recorded the "Blizzard" and "Diary" albums replacing the bass and percussion with his touring bassist (Rob Trujillo) and drummer. As such, Bob has an axe to grind with Ozzy and may have made this story up to disparage Ozzy.

OK... I wouldn't take that quote at face value, though. You may know that Bob Daisley (and Lee Kerslake) has been in a long, drawn-out legal battle with Ozzy over royalties... which has been so bitter that Ozzy re-recorded the "Blizzard" and "Diary" albums replacing the bass and percussion with his touring bassist (Rob Trujillo) and drummer. As such, Bob has an axe to grind with Ozzy and may have made this story up to disparage Ozzy.

Yeah, that battle was also described in there. Although, it doesn't seem to far off from Ozzy to behave erratically like that. There are a lot of stories from Sharon about his craziness.

It was still a very good read though with all sorts of interesting tidbits.

Yeah, that battle was also described in there. Although, it doesn't seem to far off from Ozzy to behave erratically like that. There are a lot of stories from Sharon about his craziness.

It was still a very good read though with all sorts of interesting tidbits.

Considering he almost killed Sharon in one of his drunken rages, a punch to the face is certainly plausible! I still would consider it more believable if I heard it from Randy's mother, brother, Sharon, etc. At the end of the day, if one were to speculate as to what Randy would have done if he had lived, if he would have left Ozzy, and then the further conclusion of why he was leaving... (as silly as it is to speculate on so many "what if" scenarios) I would say that Randy's primary drive that would make him leave Ozzy would be his own musical exploration, not personal like or dislike of his employer.

You may know that Bob Daisley (and Lee Kerslake) has been in a long, drawn-out legal battle with Ozzy over royalties... which has been so bitter that Ozzy re-recorded the "Blizzard" and "Diary" albums replacing the bass and percussion with his touring bassist (Rob Trujillo) and drummer. As such, Bob has an axe to grind with Ozzy and may have made this story up to disparage Ozzy.

I didn't know that Ozzy re-recorded Blizzard and Diary. I know that Rudy Sarzo and Tommy Aldridge were shown as the bass player and drummer of the band on the Diary inside cover...that kind of misrepresented the band since it was Daisly and Kerslake actually playing.

I came across an interview with Randy a while back and I'll try to find it. But the interview he mentioned how different it was living in England and how he missed giving guitar lessons and didn't like all the travel. He also said he was not happy with Diary because he felt rushed and the solo on SATO was supposed to be a scratch solo but ended up on the final product.

He also said that he didn't listen to loud music at all and really did not listen to metal but prefered acoustic guitar work and was heading that direction.

I'll try to find that interview and post a link, it kind of gives a little insight into what he might have done if he was with us a bit longer...

Just talking about it makes me a bit sad but I'm glad that we're remembering him anyway.

Rob Robitaille

You may know that Bob Daisley (and Lee Kerslake) has been in a long, drawn-out legal battle with Ozzy over royalties... which has been so bitter that Ozzy re-recorded the "Blizzard" and "Diary" albums replacing the bass and percussion with his touring bassist (Rob Trujillo) and drummer. As such, Bob has an axe to grind with Ozzy and may have made this story up to disparage Ozzy.

I didn't know that Ozzy re-recorded Blizzard and Diary. I know that Rudy Sarzo and Tommy Aldridge were shown as the bass player and drummer of the band on the Diary inside cover...that kind of misrepresented the band since it was Daisly and Kerslake actually playing.

Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake absolutely played on both those records - I have the original vinyl for Blizzard - they are listed as the musicians on that album.

Rudy Sarzo joined the band for Speak Of The Devil - and left before they recorded Bark At The Moon.

Aldridge played on Speak and Moon, and left after that tour.

Now, in my personal opinion, his best lineup was Rhoads/Sarzo/Aldridge, but facts are facts.

Archived