Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: question for Canadian members

My wife's father passed away last year, leaving us a handful of coins. He loved coins, and as a military man he traveled the world and brought back coins of many countries and some surprising years. I doubt that much of what he saved had value. But there is at least one Canadian commemorative that is sealed in plastic, in a fancy felt-covered box, with the Queen on the coin.... I wonder how to get a fair value for the piece. Any of you guys into coins or know of a reputable dealer that will not cheat my wife?

Thanks,

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you be a little more descriptive (as the Queen is on almost all of our coins). What's the denomination? What's the year? What's on the other side of the coin? Any special text?

It's tricky to find a reputable coin or stamp dealer who won't gouge the non-collector with the "inheritance find" or the "attic find". I wouldn't know where to start, except with perhaps a friend of your wife's father who was also a collector who might know someone on the collector community.

Nash-customized Gibson Les Paul, Godin Progression Plus

Quilter MicroPro Mach 2.0

I'm fairly sure that there weren't many coins produced by the Canadian Mint that were sealed in plastic before the mid 60's. The centennial sets of 1967 were the first I think and marked the end of silver content in common coins. Value slides considerably after 1967.

I'm no expert by any stretch and in spite of having boxes literally filled with coins I'm making no plans for retirement! Some of them date back to the late 1700s & through the 1800s but were Upper & Lower Canada Bank Tokens not Canadian currency because nobody had become hammered enough to admit he was a politician... or there was no Canada yet.

Faint chance it's worth anything at all unless it's gold and the Canadian mint is known for pressing the purest gold coins found in the world.

So.. if it isn't platinum, gold or silver.... it isn't appreciating in value as a collector's item (in any hurry). Our country is just too new.

but then... I don't know what you have in your hand, do I!

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Okay, I got it down from the attic.

It was -struck- by the Royal Canadian Mint for Turks and Caicos Islands, and it is a 20 Crown piece from 1976. (??!!)

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

I see. So this is basically crap, not real coinage. Like those "Lennon and Marx" stamps from Tunisia or where-ever.

Bill

Steve Martin

I see. So this is basically crap, not real coinage. Like those "Lennon and Marx" stamps from Tunisia or where-ever.

Bill

It is actual currency and can be taken out of the plastic and used in a pinball machine if you needed to. The proof sets are just packaged for collectors and typically the same coins go into limited circulation within the country. It's worth at least the denomination its' stamped with. Certainly no less.

It's funny..we (Canadians) have been buying up quite a bit of the Turks & Caicos Islands and their government was talking about forming an association with Canada. Essentially... we'd buy them out like the U.S. did with Puerto Rico I guess.

Don't know what happened to that idea...

For the need of $85 you should likely stuff it in a time capsule for the grand kids!

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

For the need of $85 you should likely stuff it in a time capsule for the grand kids!

It is a single 20 Crown piece, not the set shown on ebay. Here nor there, my wife really wants to get rid of the coins... I'm looking at 10-20 coins from England spanning 1880s through 1940s, same with France, Germany, China and some other countries; and then a whole pile of proof US coins and sets, some of the sets still in their original shipping envelopes from the US Mint. Her stuff, and though I suggested that we just sit on them, she wants to clean up and clear out a lot of stuff... I can't fault that!

Bill

Steve Martin

Archived