Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So What Style Are We?

Kramer Ferrington III.

My band's always had a problem explaining what style we actually play.

Now... while we were getting gigs off other bands who knew us, it wasn't an issue, because musicians don't usually bother with pigeonholes. But now that we have a demo, and are hoping to get some gigs on our own, it would help a lot if we could tell a bar owner "we play such-and-such" or "we sound like..."

If any of you guys would be into listening to the stuff on our MySpace I'd be really grateful. I'm also interested in comments such as "you sound like so and so" or "you remind me of..." and all that.

The demo was recorded live to 2 track and although the playing is sometimes not all it could be, there's not a lot I can do about it now, short of fishing stuff out with compression.

And it's just a demo. That's why I'm not putting this up on the "share your music": I don't see it as a proper recording, just a demo.

Anyway, the URL is

http://www.myspace.com/thischarmingmystery

Cheers,

Vince.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i can't really peg the style. i am not big on giving a band a genre. it is limiting. but after all that it is refreshing and i like hearing all the instruments. some of it has a sort of surfy feel and others would fit in well on a "Peanuts" cartoon.

does that help any? i like it if you are wondering.

Progressing off Chad's and Smirk's comments I'd have to call it Psychedelic World Punk. Sorry, that's the best I can give you, Vince. I'm sure there are bands you could be compared to but I never listened to most of them so...

I would say I hear a bit of early U2 in Kilimanjaro, some early Police influence in Spies and Monday Morning Traffic as well as a little Paul Simon - Graceland album in Peasant Dance Num 5. I like it all, Vince! Really nice. Now I want to hear better recordings of all of them. The recordings aren't bad, but I can hear a much more cohesive overall sound possible for these songs. I can't wait! :thu: (Go to your room and begin recording right away young man! :D )

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Vince.....it's Starbucks laced with Acid!! :eek:

I'm seeing peasant dresses whorling in circles.....

Oh, and who's that mad man playing lead bass????? :)

Add a hollowbody Epiphone with a Bigsby and Grace slick, and you're there.......

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Progressing off Chad's and Smirk's comments I'd have to call it Psychedelic World Punk.

I like that one. Crash Test Dummies, Pink Floyd, Poi Dog Pondering.

I think I would have to add surf to that,... Psychedelic World Surf Punk.

I agree on that, Red. :thu:

Crash Test Dummies... Definitely some of that in This Charming Mystery. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Wow, thanks, guys! :thu: I really appreciate all the feedback! :) It's just so much easier talking to bar guys (and non-musicians in general) if you can say "we're a such-and-such band" as opposed to struggling to find the right words.

However, that old comment about "talking about music is like dancing about architecture" comes to mind. You guys hear stuff in the songs that we never put into them!

I've always thought the term "surf" fitted in there, somehow, and it keeps coming up in your comments (one of my definitions was "Roots Surf Music") I'll stress that to the others. Although the word "punk" has just as much right to be there. :P Decisions, decisions... Thanks for all the encouragement!

Yeah...there's a bit of several styles...Psychedelic Rock, Punk, World/Ethnic...etcor what I would call Head Music.

But I don't think the problem will be describing your band's style...

...rather, will the bar owners even understand what you mean when you say:

"Roots Surf Music" or "Psychedelic World Surf Punk" or "Psychedelic Lounge Metal".... :grin:

I think most of them need the lowest common denominator... ;)

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

"Music to imbibe in alcohol to.." ought to explain any of the definitions you choose to the satisfaction of club owners! :D

Yeah, and that's basically what they want to hear! :D

Defining ourselves is also important from a graphical point of view. I'd like to come up with a logo, or even a standard font for band stuff like the press kit and so on.

Not to be a critic, Vince, but it needs MORE COWBELL.

:snax:;):D

Actually, I'm always planning on buying the drummer a cowbell, I love the sound of them.

But the risk of seeming overbearing is always there. I mean, if someone turned up and said, "I've bought you these strings. Make sure you use them!" it could be taken the wrong way! ;) I've lent her my drum pads, which have a cowbell on them, among a bunch of other things. So far she hasn't incorporated them into her normal kit, might be a sign to leave well enough alone! :D

Neil: I wish people would drink more! Unfortunately, we tend to play for a bunch of guys in other bands, and they're always skint!

...Neil: I wish people would drink more! Unfortunately, we tend to play for a bunch of guys in other bands, and they're always skint!

:D Just you luck! :eek:

If I had a way to put up smippets of the video my old drummer sent me (He just put several 19 and 20 year old videos on a DVD... 3½ hours of ridiculousness! :freak: ) you could really see a band in need of an extremely drunk audience! :rolleyes::D

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Funny how some bands make you feel like drinking, and I mean that in a nice way.

There was a band called Roaring Jack in Sydney, and they used to be kinda like The Pogues, and it was amazing. Whenever I'd go see them I immediately wanted to down industrial quantities of Guiness. And so did 99% of the audience. The other 1% was tending the bar!

Our motto was always, "the more you drink, the better we sound!" :D

Hey, I thought that was our motto?! :o LOL

Oh well... I guess that's a common saying out there in bar/clubs everywhere! ;)

Kramer's band "This Charming Mystery";

The sound actually reminds me of the Violent Femmes somewhat and in a very positive way. Hard to pigeonhole it to a particular sound or genre. Something like Psychobilly perhaps? I do like it though! :thu:

Our motto was always, "the more you drink, the better we sound!" :D

Hey, I thought that was our motto?! :o LOL

Oh well... I guess that's a common saying out there in bar/clubs everywhere! ;)

! :thu:

LOL......reminds me of a rule I had back when I was single. If I couldn't see kissing her on the lips when sober (and with the LIGHTS ON), then I'd not consider spending the night......... :eek::D

.....kept me out of trouble every now and again...

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

...Kramer's band "This Charming Mystery";

The sound actually reminds me of the Violent Femmes somewhat and in a very positive way. Hard to pigeonhole it to a particular sound or genre. Something like Psychobilly perhaps? I do like it though! :thu:

I definitely agree about the Femmes... That was what my mind latched on to in one of the songs though their name escaped me. Old-timer's disease catching up with me... or as Shatner might say, "It's the Mad Cow.... Mad Cow!"

I have to disagree with Psychobilly though. Psychedelic, yes! Hillbilly? I don't hear it...

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I'd say though it has this grass-roots or folk feeling to it, it's still kind of fits into the progressive genre. I mean with the different song "shapes" and staying away from the verse-chorus. Definitely a psychedelic vibe to it. I would call it psychedelic folk-surf.
Hooray for the Moon

Archived