Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

LACE Alumitone humbuckers anyone?

Jim_L

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's a brief video w/pics, the black bits are 'micro windings' and only take up 'that' space and a bit underneath, the rest is just aluminum. It's worth taking a look at the other pups from them, their windings on the other pups they have are SIDEWAYS!

There was just another thread about Alumitones. They're made by Lace, as in the Lace Sensors loved/vilified from their association with Fender in the late 1980's, early 1990's. Here's a separate link to the Alumitone page. Apparently they now make a direct replacement, P-90 style that's hum free. Doesn't say if there's a dummy coil or something else to control hum. One big improvement (if you like the sound of their p'ups) is a 70% drop in weight over similar p'ups. Not a bad way to reduce the weight of your instrument where it doesn't count, again assuming they sound good.

I phoned Lauren Ellis, a fine luthier (and fantastic guitar player) because they list Rock Block (for whom she does repair/install work) as a dealer, even listing the names of the staff along with phone number and address. Unfortunately she hasn't had an opportunity to check these out herself. She's not even sure they keep them in stock.

From the reviews I've read they are wider band than most p'ups, which can be good or bad, but it won't be a strictly "vintage" sound when compared with Fender single coils or, in the case of the HB, compared with PAF's of one style or another.

I'd really like to find someone with one to see how it sounds before either modifying the pickguard on my Strat (necessary because they are squared off more than Fender singles) or spending beaucoup bucks on a pre-wired pickguard with three.

Interesting idea though...

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I don't know if it's the mp3 but it sounds harsh to me. Of course it's not as bad as it might be because the player has a fantastic touch, but I don't hear the inordinate amount of bass every one of the HC reviews describe. I know he said he pegs his bass eq on the amp at 0 but I'd like to hear a clip that demonstrates that low end.

Thanks for the links though, 'Zan. I'm holding on to that clip despite the piercing nature of the guitar tone. A lot to learn from that cut. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I'm surprised, Lee. According to the reviews and their advertising these p'ups are more hi-fi, similar to other low impedance p'ups. The difference is they're not active... no batteries to change.. ever. That and they're only about 1/3 the weight of a typical HB, removing un-necessary weight from your instrument. Weight that shouldn't have an effect on sustain as it's not solidly connected to the body.

Seeing how much you like the LP Signature I'm surprised you wouldn't grasp onto a similar p'up with significantly lower weight.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived