Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Top 100 Rock Bands

Zuben

While Surfing the net on another sleepless night, I ran in this top 100 Rock bands.

AVRev.coms Top Ten

It is set up on a point system that makes sense. The judgs were chosen with some intelligence.

I might not agree with all of them but it is one of the better I have seen.

Peace

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rolling Stones # 20 ?! :confused:

The list tries to use reason, but again it is only opinion.

I would imagine for airplay, influence, songwriting, sales and longevity the Stones would have to be higher than that -especially given the bands that are under them (no matter how they skew the numbers). :rolleyes:

Ah... lists... I'm kind of sick of them...

I'm also sick of trying to mix scores/math with art... or art and objectivity.

That being said, this is kind of a fun list. It's also pretty silly... why is Zeppelin more consistent than the Beatles? Or how is Bob Marley more innovative than Queen?

Certainly way better than Rolling Stone's top guitarists list!

This list is as bad as the ACTs, SATs, GREs, LSATs, or any other ridiculous, ostentatious exam that tries to grade someone's ability to do anything numerically.

Sure, sometimes those scores reflect the talent or ability of a band, but personally, outside of sales, I find the Beatles to be an insult to musical taste. I've tried to like them, and I respect their influence, but I certainly cannot stand listening to them. Even had an ex-girlfriend who forced me to listen to them. Not worth my time. And why is Iron Maiden so far down on the list? I certainly think they had way more innovation, talent, and musical taste than Stone Temple Pilots.

But as everyone here has pointed out: lists are a waste of time.

Shut up and play.

Wow, never saw Slayer and Black Eyed Peas next to each other on a list before.

And yeah, the Stones that far down is just dumb.

Wonder what the new Linkin Park album would sound like if they didn't have Perfect Circle to steal from.

Well that's why I don't put too much importance on lists. I like the Bee Gees (earlier stuff mostly) and the Carpenters, but above the Animals on a rock band list? That's just sad. :laugh:

Michelle

My new baby is a 2002 Collectors by Ovation

I think this is a cool song title -- "Can't Remember to Forget"

*shrug* Personally, I haven't bought a new Stones' album since "Undercover", in 1984. That's TWENTY-FOUR (24!) years ago.

And I'm by no means alone in this. If you consider 24 years of so-so records and just plain awful records, then that can really screw up a band's averages.

*shrug* Personally, I haven't bought a new Stones' album since "Undercover", in 1984. That's TWENTY-FOUR (24!) years ago.

And I'm by no means alone in this. If you consider 24 years of so-so records and just plain awful records, then that can really screw up a band's averages.

Well Van Halen was several spots above them so I'm not sure how that works out, when did they last release something good?

Wonder what the new Linkin Park album would sound like if they didn't have Perfect Circle to steal from.

Well Van Halen was several spots above them so I'm not sure how that works out, when did they last release something good?

well, the Stones have been playing since 1962. That makes the band uhmmm... 46 years old. Which stretches the number of GOOD albums out a lot.

Say you had a band that lasted three years and put out two good albums. Your good album average would be a lot higher than a band that lasted fifteen years and put out three good albums, wouldn't it?

I just had to revisit this.

Take a close look at this list. :confused:

http://www.avrev.com/bands/

I had to show it to alot of people and everyone I sent it to got PO'd at it. :mad:

This list is just a joke and completely irrelevent. :rolleyes:

To buy into their scoring system is utterly ridiculous. It tries to use rationale, but again it is just opinion from critics. :/

Obviously everyone has their favorites and that will always sway any objectivity. I consider myself fairly knowledgable about music and alot of things but who is "Orbital"? and why do they place @ #60 ahead of Little Feat, Black Sabbath, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Traffic & The Kinks? Dixie Chicks @#43 ? and I like them alot, but c'mon? :crazy:

Whatever! Anyway everyone knows the real truth, but to take the time to concoct something like this and think people will give it any credence (Oh.. CreedenceCR? #57?!) is absurd. :crazy:

Psh what a list. Yes I agree music is definitely a matter of personal taste and cannot be dictated by a few select people.

My list's top 11 would be:

1. Pink Floyd

2. Silversun Pickups

3. Murder by Death

4. Coheed and cambria

5. Yes

6. Meat Loaf

7. The Decemberists

8. Billy Joel

9. Heart

10.Dave Matthews Band

11. Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers

Not necessarily in that order. I couldn't decide a rank.They're all amazing.

Many people would disagree but again it's a matter of personal taste.

I have a little thing against Dave Matthews.

I live in Chicago. We will never forget the tourbus inccident.

That being said, the music is pretty good.

I go to the site, see "NEW FOR 2008" I'm all "OH GOODY!" and i click it and it's all "ALL NEW AMERICAN STANDARD SERIES!" and I'm like..."what?"

To buy into their scoring system is utterly ridiculous. It tries to use rationale, but again it is just opinion from critics. :/

No, there's a record sales component as well, IIRC. It's not just critical opinion. Mind you, how one defines "record sales" is a whole question to itself.

But yeah... who cares anyway. My tastes aren't about to be swayed by some list.

I have a little thing against Dave Matthews.

I live in Chicago. We will never forget the tourbus inccident.

That being said, the music is pretty good.

I understand, I know people who are mad about that, but from what i've heard it sounds like it was the bus driver who actually dumped the...stuff....into the river.

I forgot to put Led Zeppelin on my list! How could I???

Archived