Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New fish on the way: Roscoe LG-3005

Gruuve

It just wasn't your thang, that's all. While we say price does not really affect how much we like a bass, it does affect what we think it should do; and if you couldn't get the tones out of it that you wanted, it would just become an expensive wooden albatross around your neck. Don't feel bad for flipping expensive fish, it has been done before...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I definitely don't feel bad (I probably would if I lost money on it, but I didn't!). I quite enjoy experimenting and getting to know different basses well. It really helps me figure out what I like and don't like. As we've said before, there's no substitute for playing an instrument in your own environment, with your own rig, your own kind of music, etc. That's when the pros and cons become apparent.

Well, I am eyeing a used Zon Studio. I like the "graphite grittiness" they have...very similar to my Steinberger Synapse fretless. And the Zon Studio's have 19mm string spacing, and an EQ per pickup...hmmm, that's very appealing and exactly what I was thinking of doing with a semi-custom Warmoth. The one I'm looking at is maybe just a tad beat-up, but I don't care so much about that. My only holdback is that the Zon's (or at least this particular one) do not have truss rods, so I'm stuck with the neck relief the way it was designed. Now, if that is almost completely flat, I'd likely be quite happy. If it's a substantial amount of relief (which is what I've heard...but then, "substantial amount of relief" can mean different things to different people, right?), I probably wouldn't be happy with the neck. However, I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to try a bass with the dual-EQ setup before I go off and put that together...that way, I can see if it's as useful to me as I think it might be. We'll see!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Maybe I should say "mastering" rather than "mastered"...it's a journey rather than a destination.

And yeah, I've spent an enormous amount of time with a metronome and/or drum machine, especially for the multi-finger plucking. It takes a long time to get the ring finger and pinky to cooperate and play nice, and to get the notes to sound mostly consistent. (And I still have some work to go there too...)

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

As I've mastered more complex right hand technique

I have mastered a complex right hand technique.

On the bass, I hope... :rimshot:

:D Ah, beat me to it! ;)

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Is there a Low Down Lowdown quote Hall of Fame? :thu:

And yeah, I've spent an enormous amount of time with a metronome and/or drum machine, especially for the multi-finger plucking.

Interesting. The sound clips that you've posted lead me to believe otherwise.

I'm sending you a bill for my monitors and keyboard. They got covered in water due to this post.

Interesting. The sound clips that you've posted lead me to believe otherwise.

Believe whatever you'd like. ;)

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I'm sending you a bill for my monitors and keyboard. They got covered in water due to this post.

The proverbial check is in the metaphorical mail.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Is there a Low Down Lowdown quote Hall of Fame? :thu:

Indeed!

Peace.

--SW

PS: getz, It wouldn't be a bad thing to make sure the left hand is up to speed technically as well.

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Archived