Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Some dude demo-ing the Fantom G6...

zephonic

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...and really not all that good.

http://sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=5979

This would have really turned me off to the Fantom G if this was the only thing I saw. Couldn't Roland find anyone better to demo this keyboard at NAMM? This also is another confirmation, albeit a poor one, of how this sounds an awful lot like the Fantom X. I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be true.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

This also is another confirmation, albeit a poor one, of how this sounds an awful lot like the Fantom X. I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be true.

Why wouldn't it sound like an X, or any other Roland board?

We are looking a long lineage here.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

:thu: exactly, they would like it to sound like yamaha maybe ;)

new motif XS sound also very much like motif XS but better, it's the way it should be.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Hey Z thanks. All is going good on my end.

The dude at the very end did state this was a prototype at the end of the clip. Love the workstation aspect, but this clip shows nothing that is going to make me want to grab this.

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

This also is another confirmation, albeit a poor one, of how this sounds an awful lot like the Fantom X. I sure hope this doesn't turn out to be true.

I guess I should have explained a bit better. As an example of what I meant, when I first heard the Motif XS last year at NAMM, I could tell the sounds were new in that they sounded more crisp, and fuller from the live demos I heard. From the demos I heard from the Fantom G, I don't hear the same thing. What I'm hearing is what I heard from the Fantom X, almost like they were playing a Fantom X. My expectations were maybe too high or unrealistic. I just expected to hear something new and fuller than the Fantom X. This is probably another one of those sound subjectivity things.

- Rush

There were two demos going for the Fantom G. One was more keyboard oriented and this one, which was focused on recording.

It's foolish to draw conclusions regarding the sound of anything at NAMM, much less something recorded via a builtin mic on a video recorder. NAMM is the worst of all possible listening environments.

As far as the demo goes, it's good to see hardware catching up to where software DAWs were maybe 15 years ago. Man, I just don't understand the interest in this and think Roland is off the mark going in this direction.

Busch.

As far as the demo goes, it's good to see hardware catching up to where software DAWs were maybe 15 years ago. Man, I just don't understand the interest in this and think Roland is off the mark going in this direction.

Busch.

:freak: Totally disagree. Many musicians prefer on board sequencing/sampling, and unless you're writing symphony which I don't think you are there is no sense to bother with disrupting computers.

Roland by doing this is has no competitors anymore, and its

fantom G is the only fully independent workstation on the market, clearly the winner for many of us.

VERY good move by Roland!

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

What I'm hearing is what I heard from the Fantom X, almost like they were playing a Fantom X. My expectations were maybe too high or unrealistic. I just expected to hear something new and fuller than the Fantom X. This is probably another one of those sound subjectivity things.

Probably, but I played the official video (the other one), and tried to AB the pianosound with my X7. In spite of the reduced quality due to webstreaming, the G-piano sounded a lot fuller than my X. At least THAT was different.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Busch.

:freak: Totally disagree. Many musicians prefer on board sequencing/sampling, and unless you're writing symphony which I don't think you are there is no sense to bother with disrupting computers.

Roland by doing this is has no competitors anymore, and its

fantom G is the only fully independent workstation on the market, clearly the winner for many of us.

VERY good move by Roland!

I could do without the sequencer, sampling, audio recording, d-beam, drumpads and GUI. If this would save me a couple of hundred bucks I'd be a very happy camper. The RD700SX just doesn't offer enough flexibility.

I could do without the sequencer, sampling, audio recording, d-beam, drumpads and GUI. If this would save me a couple of hundred bucks I'd be a very happy camper. The RD700SX just doesn't offer enough flexibility.

I agree which is why I'm having on big :bor: with the recent spate of Roland and Yamaha offerings.

Keep the sequencer, sampler, audio recording, and even drum pads. No audio interface necessary. I'll keep the D-beam for shits and giggles.

Give me the sound engine, good GUI, possibly VSTi/AU integration, nice action and cool look in a solid package at an affordable price. Is that asking too much? We don't need another "do everything" workstation. Just look at the Radius, Prophet 08 and the Moog Voyager OS for cues-simple, functional and does what it does WELL with minimal fuss.

Oh, and skip the 61-key version...paying an additional $300-500 or more for more keys is ridiculous. Offer 76- and 88-key versions and call it a day.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

What I'm hearing is what I heard from the Fantom X, almost like they were playing a Fantom X. My expectations were maybe too high or unrealistic. I just expected to hear something new and fuller than the Fantom X. This is probably another one of those sound subjectivity things.

Probably, but I played the official video (the other one), and tried to AB the pianosound with my X7. In spite of the reduced quality due to webstreaming, the G-piano sounded a lot fuller than my X. At least THAT was different.

Ok, fair enough. Thanks for letting me know that, as coming from someone who played it. I'm going to wait until I can play it myself to make any definitive judgments.

- Rush

Then you don't need a worstation. Why are you even looking at Fantom if you know you don't need it? It's advanced/workstation features are great for those who need it.

I definately see myself using all of it's features for my needs. If I could afford one right now, I'd consider getting it, and getting rid of the laptop in my music set up.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

I'm in agreement here. Since sequencing and sampling is much better and more complete on a computer, it makes more sense. I had the same concerns about the RD700SX and I wound up with the S90ES. I wound up selling it for a Fantom X8 and that's one of those decisions that I wish I could have back as it wasn't a good move for me. Right now I really like how easy it is to lay a few tracks on the Motif XS and use the arp feature if I need it. I think Yamaha is trying to close the gap between the workstation and people like me who are more home studio users.

- Rush

Then you don't need a worstation. Why are you even looking at Fantom if you know you don't need it? It's advanced/workstation features are great for those who need it.

I definately see myself using all of it's features for my needs. If I could afford one right now, I'd consider getting it, and getting rid of the laptop in my music set up.

Mary, it is the only Roland synth that has all the features I need. Like I said, the RD700SX is just not flexible enough.

But if the new RD700GX resembles the S90ES in terms of features and programability ( I seriously doubt that) than that would be where my money is going.

BTW, I'd advise you to keep the laptop. I made that mistake ten years ago, when I thought I wanted to move away from the computer and started sequencing on an MPC2000.

Since sequencing and sampling is much better and more complete on a computer, it makes more sense.

Not necessary, so far it was like that because they made workstation this way. Roland obviously is going in right direction of integration both things in one board.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

I'd venture to the workstation market is a mature market and what we have been seeing in them are really just incremental improvements, not wholesale shift changes in technology. We've had two or three (or four) iterations of Triton, Motif, Fantom and K/PC-series and right now, the majority of us have either one of those, more than one of those, or one of those AND a DAW.

My biggest complaint is that the Big 4 are not making much BESIDES workstations (off all of them, I give Korg the exception). Even when they had a great opportunity, Roland saddled the Juno-G with more generally useless, repetitive features and at the other end, starved the SH-201.

Sure, with all these capabilities in one place, it is great for someone that is starting out. But how many beginner, let alone starving musicians are going to be forking out $2800-3500 for a new board every other year? So even with the price, the target is NOT a new user, but established, experienced users-US.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Thank you...that is one of my favorites from that project. I loved the entire production we did on that one.

Thank you...that is one of my favorites from that project. I loved the entire production we did on that one.

Yeah, it's tight. Definitely not taking a backseat to big-name gospel stuff. Which one of the two keyboard guys are you?

I am the dude standing up with the Motif and XP-30...the guy sitting down is only 24 years old and a MONSTER...that is why I am playing keyboards and he is the first "pianist".

Your statement WAS the goal of that project for me as producer...that we didn't need a big name budget to get a big name sound. If I told you I did all the overdubs in my basement besides the piano work (a Yamaha C7 recorded with two ADK A-51TT's and two AMEK Channel-in-a-Boxes), would you believe me?

I'd believe you know sound and you know your equipment! Nice playing, too. So you're Jason and the other guy is Gil?

Thank you...lots of reading, listening and hanging around places like The Keyboard Corner keep me sharp.

Since sequencing and sampling is much better and more complete on a computer, it makes more sense.

Not necessary, so far it was like that because they made workstation this way. Roland obviously is going in right direction of integration both things in one board.

But the leaps and Bounds made by computers, software, softsynths, samplers and sequencers(DAWS) is making this a huge uphill battle. Its like to comparing a windows 95 system with a Windows XP one and that may be a generous comparison. For every workstation that comes out, computers have moved at least 2 steps ahead.

- Rush

But the leaps and Bounds made by computers, software, softsynths, samplers and sequencers(DAWS) is making this a huge uphill battle. Its like to comparing a windows 95 system with a Windows XP one and that may be a generous comparison. For every workstation that comes out, computers have moved at least 2 steps ahead.

come on, latest motif XS runs on very much up to date linux OS,

there is no technical problems with implementing high end software into workstations.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Archived