Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender Urge 11 (upgrade w/Hipshot) advice?

howmanychanges

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've played one before. It was odd to get used to all the pickups being stuffed in there. It has a lot of tonal variety - which one would expect from so many pickups and knobs. All said I liked it well enough but it wasn't the bass for me.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

Jeremy, as DW said, the original was short-scale but this version is standard... you're right, I wouldn't feel comfortable using a short-scale, maybe its a man-thing?

Bumpcity, variety of tone is what I'm looking for. Having said that, until I find a store that has one in stock, so that I can get my hands on it, I don't want to order one just to find that it 'isn't the bass for me'.

Rizzo, thanks for the welcome! Oh dear, those reviews look very good!?

Now I'm even more confused! Bugger!

Ok, this is what I play (or will be, once we get passed the rehearsal stage); a rock 3 piece (Satriani, Johnson, John 5, Zep,SRV, etc), a jazz duo (guitar and bass), a cabaret band/duo (all the usual suspects; Beatles, Stones, r'n'r, soul, chart stuff, etc, etc).

Here's what I'd like; a bass that can provide a variety of tones, is as playable as possible, looks classy rather than flash (not in my nature, besides, there's an element in the audiences I'll be playing to who are not adverse to smacking you in the mouth and collecting your shiny new guitar!), doesn't weigh so much it puts my back out, maybe a five string ... Frets!

I've been happy with my Warwick T fretless for the last 12 years, so I haven't kept up with the bass market, but now have to admit "I'm a fretless player but on the faster stuff my intonation stinks!"

Can anyone suggest a bass that would fit the bill?

Thanks again for your input,

Jamie.

While not as tonally variable a Musicman Stingray 5 would sound good in all of those musical situations. Classic tone, very playable, and light weight.

For more tonal variety any model Fender Jazz or comparable copy (Lull, Sadowsky, Lakland, etc...) would do very well for you and most of them are very light weight.

Archived