Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Upright bass strings

bubba upright

Hi all.

I've been playing upright bass for many years and recently broke a string on a gig (they were really old.) In the past I've used Pirastro flexocores, and several different gauges of D'addario Helicores mainly because they were cheap. I play a jazz gig 2 nights a week and mostly pizz with a little bowing. I'm looking for a cool "traditional" jazz sound but I can't afford gut strings, which I really like.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions for a relatively cheap (under $200.) set of upright strings that have a good traditional jazz sound? The Helicores sound too high-tech. I would appreciate any feedback as trying lots of new strings can be an expensive endeavour.

Thanks, Jim

"Study, study, study...or BONK BONK bad kids!"

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was just about to ask a quetion like this myself. Im looking for something that sounds good both bowed and pizzed and has very little string tension(the strings i have now are the stock strings, they're huge and they wont break in leaving them very tight)...hopefully someone here can help because no place in my area sells URB strings and i have to order them online.

Archived