Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone using a Masterlink for "live" playback?

I'm looking for a playback device to playback prerecorded tracks drum loops, extra instruments and backing vox, during occasional live performances. I've considered units like the Tascam 788, DAT recorders, mini disks players and laptops then I thought that maybe my masterlink installed in decent road case could do the trick. It has balanced XLR outs, almost instant recall of song files, has reasonable D/A conversion, certainly good enough for live shows and can run the songs directly off the hard drive or play back a CD-R in an emergency. Since most house systems are mono, I could run a mono mix to the board from the left channel and a mono mix plus any count-ins to the floor monitors from the right channel. I could use the remote if I wanted to live a little dangerously andI could even use UPS to protect and back up the device. What do you think? Anyone doing it?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mix sound for a band that has background loops, doubled vocals, keyboard parts, etc.... We use a Darwin, but only have 2 tracks (storage capacity problems with Jazz disks). It is frustrating as the sound man to not be able to eq/compress/turn up and down the individual parts!!! Use at least an 8 track playback device. A laptop with a 8 out soundcard would be ideal! Ed

When I prep tracks for an act (be it tape or HD) here's the usual layout 1. Inst left 2. Inst right 3. Perc left 4. Perc right 5. Vocal left 6. Vocal right 7. mono track - could be lead vocal (if the group really sucks or dances too much), or often sub relater material (like 808 kicks and sub bass) 8. click or timing reference for drummer

Archived