Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've caught a new fish!!!

b5pilot

I ran across a used Warwick Thumb 5 bolt on at our local GC for an unbelieveable price. I snapped it up. I did my first gig with it last night. This thing is freakin' awe inspiring! I wish I would have gotten one of these years ago. I'm obviously pumped. I thought I'd tell you folks about it. Woo Hoo!!

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Thumb is DEFINITELY one of the most beautiful basses all around. :D A friend of mine (Who also has a quite impressive collection, by the way, including vintage basses and top-level newer ones as Ken Smiths 4 and 5, a Tobias 5, among some jewels), has a Fretless Thumb 4 he always has to keep away from my drooling... :P

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

No photo, no bass.

I agree. On another forum I'm a member of we have a term for when folks post threads about new gear, rave about how nice it is, and don't post pics of it. Not sure if it's used here, but it fits...

Cowbell!!!

Stop clangin' the cowbell and get some pics of this new fish!!! :D

If you have a digital camera, or a regular camera and a scanner, you'll just upload them to a free image hosting site such as imageshack, or photobucket (there are many more, but I'm not familiar with them, hopefully some other users can chime in with others). And those sites should have directions and code for you to input into a message board/UBB such as this.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

Thanks! I didn't want to be accused of telling tall fish stories.

I like metal thingies. I do like fretless basses but I would have a little too much trouble keeping my intonation on stage with one.

Those metal thingies... are cool, unless you have to mess with them as in "fret that is somewhat lower than the others and causes buzz..."

There used to be also other kind of "Metal thingies". Kramer used to make them. :P I´ve just had my way a copy (presumably Hondo) of the "Kramer Duke" bass, and found the copy also has an aluminum neck (2 screws from the body back to the aluminum neck "T-core", and then 4 screws on a "normal" neckplate from the back, wood to wood... Still have to find out what the switch on the bass´s controls really does (it is kinda "normal-beast" kind of change... hehe :P ). It also came with a fret slightly lower than the others (the 9th), so up to now, the solution was to elevate the bridge saddles height a tiny bit. Still sounds awesome. Metal thingies... ;)

www.juancarlinmusic.com

I tried a Kramer bass with an aluminum neck. I think it was a Kramer. They have the tuning fork style headstock right? Anyway, I didn't care for it. It was very heavy overall and especially neck heavy. I didn't care for the feel of the neck either. of course, that's just my opinion.

When I first tried one of these it was on a music store to test an amp (The bass was secondhand). The store had a real BAD electrical work, and I had no rubber soles. Sooooo.... there goes the amp, and when I get a grip of the nez.. Zzzzzzappp!!!!. And it happened about.. thrice while I was testing the amp.

Very fortunately the "Duke" model is Headless (has the tuning pegs at the bottom of the body while remaining headless at the top of the neck) and has wood sides at the neck AND some paint/lacquer, which prevents me from getting zapped again. Anyway, since then (and another couple unfortunate incidents on stage, as the "fried lips syndrome" from bad grounded SM58´s and so), I got the custom of either having rubber soles while playing, or using plastic bags under my socks to isolate, or BOTH.

I catched a fork-head Kramer at a recent gigo, at the other band´s bassist hands. Not even felt the need to see it closer. Somehow got conditioned. See one of those, inmediately feel the electric zap again .. :(

www.juancarlinmusic.com

Nice bass, b5, congratulations!

...I like metal thingies. I do like fretless basses but I would have a little too much trouble keeping my intonation on stage with one.

Perfect intonation is overrated. I get up with my fretless and it's "full speed ahead and get the whiners below-decks." Any funky note doesn't last long and I can always correct. It's a voyage of discovery!

Besides, it was no less than that fretless guru Phil W. who told me that playing out with the fretless as much as possible is the best way to improve. So I play it in church on Sundays where they can't fire me...

Nice catch b5. Thumbs up to you. :thu: :thu:

Alot of folks are buying Warwick these days. I'll have to keep my eye out for one, but I've never seen one in this area.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Archived