Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gig for the Royal Highnesses of Sweden and my precious GK...

Tommi

...is down (for good?)

Last saturday i played at the Icehotel on the conclusion of the Linnaeus Tercentenary. http://www.linnaeus2007.se/thelinnaeuscelebration/coolconclusionoflinnaeus2007.4.76e8b1c6112f078db498000171877.html

The King & Queen of Sweden was in the audience with several Nobel prize winners and other prominent guests as well. I played with a band that I sometimes play with, Enyojk. It's a kind of worldmusic with a great touch of rock and jojk.

Just before we were supposed to begin the first song a loud bang was heard on stage and something arced as well. Power to PA, monitors and amplifier was gone and when the 63 Ampere fuses were fixed my precious Gallien-Krueger 1200 CEB didn't start anymore. I've played with it since 1992 and it has worked perfect through all the years. Anyway, i plugged my bass straight in to a DI box instead so I had to play four songs without a clue of how i sounded. But it worked very good anyway, the FOH/monitor guy said. The GK was wet on top and shorted probably due to water. We played in a big frozen hall in -6 degrees Celsius and with 450 guests the cold air condensated.

A Finnish violinist also performed at this happening and she has pictures from it on http://www.myspace.com/lindalampenius in the scroller on the right side. She also played with us on our two last songs.

I will try to see if the GK is possible to repair but I begun to look for a new combo and found Markbass. Are they really as good as the posts on Harmony Central says? I haven't bought any new gear since last year when Kenfxj drove me around in NJ searching a Stingray fiver (Thanks again Ken!) and the Jeff Berlin model looks incredibly nice to me. Like the GK it has a 15" speaker and no tweeter and 300 watts @ 8 ohm. Portable, light weight and a color other than black appeals to me a lot. How good is the reliability on their products? Any known problems?

Merry Christmas to you LD'ers and may your glögg keep you warm until next year. :)

--->Tommi

Some of my pictures before and after the gig can be found here:

http://816.servebeer.com/users/tommip/icehotel/

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine that the ice hotel gig is something that no amp manufacturer can really endorse. Playing withut hearing yourself is no fun at all. However, it sounded truly memorable gig.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

The Markbass stuff is cool from what I've played. As always you should ideally check it out for yourself before buying when possible.

Your experience at that gig reminds me of a holiday party I played about 3 years ago. After the first set my power amp died and I had to play the rest of the night without an amp. Good times.

Tommi! You didn't tell me you fried the GK on that gig! I'm sorry to hear that my friend, but it sounds like you covered yourself quite professionally. The GK is still cheaper than if you'd fried that other hardware you've been working with recently... :laugh:

For what my opinion is worth, I've been blown away by the Markbass gear I've played through. It doesn't just sound great considering the weight - it sounds great period.

Now for the important question. Was the lovely Princess Madeleine in attendance? :D

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/8941/princessyk4.jpg

Push the button Frank.

Good job on being professional even with the problems you experienced. On one of the biggest gigs I have done I had the same experience of my amp eating it. Ironically I was in Sweden. I recorded a concert documentary with Bo Diddley in 1987 that was eventually released world wide. On the first tune the amp died and from that point on only had my bass in the monitor. Since this was a video recording I made sure that I looked like this didn't even happen and kept that big smile on my face.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Yes, Princess Madeleine was showing us her Royal bikini collection backstage and she also kept our hands warm before and after we performed. No she did not attend:-(

I knew "go try one" was coming but the closest music store that has Markbass is about 500 miles away and i dont even know if they have them in stock. Stockholm is over 800 miles away and next time I go there i will definitely try'em out.

I'm curious about the difference between the Jeff Berlin model without tweeter and the standard 15"/300w with tweeter and also how well they handle the B-string.

--->Tommi

Wow, I wish we had royalty in this country! At least if they looked like Princess Madeleine!

On a related note, is EBS gear a decent value in Sweden? I was really impressed with the EBS gear that I tried out a couple of months ago.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

My amp is up and running again. I finally had the time to check my amp and it was only a glass fuse that was blown so hard that the glass was cracked.

Although it feels good that the my precious old GK is alive again it's a little bit boooring. But who, except for my better half, says I cant have two portable combos?

Nicklab, i'm not sure i understand your question really.

--->Tommi

Although it feels good that the my precious old GK is alive again it's a little bit boooring. But who, except for my better half, says I cant have two portable combos?

--->Tommi

I was just wondering, in the event that you might have needed to replace your amp, is EBS gear priced competitively in Sweden? EBS gear is built in Sweden, is it not?

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

--->Tommi

I was just wondering, in the event that you might have needed to replace your amp, is EBS gear priced competitively in Sweden? EBS gear is built in Sweden, is it not?

EBS is priced in the same range as similar products from SWR, GK, Ampeg etc... And those are priced about twice as high in Sweden than in US:-(

Archived