Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Guitar Christmas Carols

Guitarzannie

Okay, I have to admit it. I have been listening to Christmas songs since Black Friday.

I want to know what everyone's favorite Christmas songs are that feature the guitar. Here is a short list from me:

Christmas is the Time to Say I Love You -- Billy Squier

Rock and Roll Christmas - George Thorogood and the Destroyers

Silent Night - Elvin Bishop (actually this has become my favorite version of Silent Night)

Christmas Wrapping - the Waitresses (I call this song "The Single Girl's Christmas Song).

Run, Run Rudolph - Chuck Berry

Jingle Bells - Booker T. and The MGs (love Cropper and Dunn's work here).

Santa Claus is Coming to Town - Booker T. and The MGs.

Feliz Navidad - Jose Feliciano, but not the version that is commonly heard on the radio. I heard Jose play an acoustic version of the song a few years ago and it was much better than the radio version, IMHO.

Michelle

My new baby is a 2002 Collectors by Ovation

I think this is a cool song title -- "Can't Remember to Forget"

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a CD called 'Merry Axemas' that has some pretty cool stuff on it.

1. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer - Kenny Wayne Shepherd

2. The First Nowell - Eric Johnson

3. Amazing Grace - Jeff Beck

4. Jingle Bells - Brian Setzer Orchestra

5. Silent Night/Holy Night Jam - Joe Satriani

6. Joy To The World - Steve Morse

7. Christmas Time Is Here - Steve Vai

8. Blue Christmas - Joe Perry

9. The Little Drummer Boy - Alex Lifeson

10. Cantique De Noel (O' Holy Night) - Richie Sambora

11. Happy X-mas (War Is Over) - Hotei

All the songs are pretty well done, with Jeff Beck and Joe Perry being the highlights (particularly Beck!).

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!

I've got a CD called 'Merry Axemas' that has some pretty cool stuff on it.

1. Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer - Kenny Wayne Shepherd

2. The First Nowell - Eric Johnson

3. Amazing Grace - Jeff Beck

4. Jingle Bells - Brian Setzer Orchestra

5. Silent Night/Holy Night Jam - Joe Satriani

6. Joy To The World - Steve Morse

7. Christmas Time Is Here - Steve Vai

8. Blue Christmas - Joe Perry

9. The Little Drummer Boy - Alex Lifeson

10. Cantique De Noel (O' Holy Night) - Richie Sambora

11. Happy X-mas (War Is Over) - Hotei

All the songs are pretty well done, with Jeff Beck and Joe Perry being the highlights (particularly Beck!).

Cool! It sounds like you are into the non-traditional versions of Christmas carols.

I have nothing against traditional Christmas music, but I enjoy a different rendion of those songs now and then.

Michelle

Silent Night is nice, because it was written on guitar. In case you don't know the story, the tune was written in a Bavarian church on Christmas eve in 1818 because the church organ was broken and they needed a song to sing with the available guitar.

I have my take on my MySpace page, but here's a direct link. Enjoy.

The First Noel lays out nicely on guitar too. I did a whole disc worth of Christmas tunes a few (15!) years ago to give to friends and acquaintances. PM for details. :wave:

Joe Pass did a jazz Christmas record years ago (1992) for the budget LaserLight label... it was originally titled Six String Santa but now it's called Christmas Guitar Dreams With the Legendary Joe Pass... it goes for about $5, and I highly recommend it. It's Joe in a quartet setting and it's got excellent playing on it, no syrupy strings or ding-doning sleigh bells, just good jazz guitar...

Joe Pass did a jazz Christmas record years ago (1992) for the budget LaserLight label... it was originally titled Six String Santa but now it's called Christmas Guitar Dreams With the Legendary Joe Pass... it goes for about $5, and I highly recommend it. It's Joe in a quartet setting and it's got excellent playing on it, no syrupy strings or ding-doning sleigh bells, just good jazz guitar...

Sounds cool. I like the title of Six String Santa better, though.

Michelle

I have done my best to turn off the "bah, humbug" circuits for Christmas music, since I have heard some of these tunes far too many times!

But some Christmas tunes are actually beautiful pieces of music, and beautiful performances, although I can live without "Rudolph" and "Frosty" rather handily, and some of the arrangements. And the endless pressure to BUY, BUY, BUY.. but that's totally OT!

To one and all: I may not be able to afford to buy, buy, buy, for all of you, but those of you who are my friends, I'd be glad to tape an album or CD for you if you think I might have it! Christmas music or otherwise!

I have done my best to turn off the "bah, humbug" circuits for Christmas music, since I have heard some of these tunes far too many times!

But some Christmas tunes are actually beautiful pieces of music, and beautiful performances, although I can live without "Rudolph" and "Frosty" rather handily, and some of the arrangements. And the endless pressure to BUY, BUY, BUY.. but that's totally OT!

To one and all: I may not be able to afford to buy, buy, buy, for all of you, but those of you who are my friends, I'd be glad to tape an album or CD for you if you think I might have it! Christmas music or otherwise!

Eric, I agree with you. How many times can someone hear Feliz Navidad before they go crazy?

The last few Christmases I have been trying to seek out different versions of Christmas carols, ones that don't generally get air time.

I did purchase "The 25th of December" by Bobby Darin last year. My mother actually had the LP. I like it because he does songs that I have never heard on the radio like "Poor Little Jesus", which is done in the style of blues, and songs like "Jehovah Hallelujah" and "Child of God", which are done in the style of gospel music.

And I agree with you about the pressure to buy, buy, buy. I have cut my spending in half this year and don't regret it.

Michelle

I've always liked "Father Christmas" by The Kinks.

That one is starting to grow on me. I love the line "Think about the kids who have nothing while you're drinking down your wine."

Michelle

I love "Father Christmas" and just about every Christmas song

out there. I've done "Feliz Navidad" at gigs many times around the holidays- it always gets a good response as do many others- "Santa Claus is Back in Town", "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" and "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" (a killer version on "Acoustic Christmas" by T-Bone Burnett" with slide) .

"Sleigh Ride" by the Ventures is a notable guitar instrumental.

I've been collecting Christmas compilations tapes/cd's for years. I'm always on the look out for new ones at the supermarket, Target , etc. It's time to dig them out!! :)

I've always liked "Father Christmas" by The Kinks.

I forgot about that one! Very cool tune.

I was strumming on the old acoustic last night, as we were without electricity for 2 days, and figured out 'Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer'. That's a fun tune to play and it entertained my wife and son for a little while.

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!

Archived