Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Robot guitar

danielpollsb.com

Who's planning on getting one of those? On one hand, I don't like the idea of too much technology on a guitar - what was good for Hendrix and Plant, should be good for all of us. On the other hand - this self tuning will be so comfortable when playing a show. There's actually a poll about these new robot guitars, where they ask if you're going to buy it:

http://www.pollsb.com/polls/poll/4282/new-gibson-robot-guitar-tunes-itself

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Did Plant play guitar?"

Well, he did say-

"...what was good for Hendrix and Plant, should be good for all of us."

-and, I'd hafta think, that Jimmy Page's manually-tuned, robo-less Fender Telecaster and Danelectro playing was definitely very good for Plant; I'd say it pretty much made his career for 'im. ;)

"Can you say spam?" :rolleyes:

"I knew you could." ;)

Gee, d'ya think so, Wally? ;) Yeeeeah, I was thinking this had to be a hired publicist for Gi- those Ro-bo-guit-fiddle guys that Ted McCarty used to work for- you know, the guy who worked closely with Paul Reed Smith of PRS there for a while... now, there are some guitars that don't need any frontal-robotomy! :D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Who's planning on getting one of those? On one hand, I don't like the idea of too much technology on a guitar - what was good for Hendrix and Plant, should be good for all of us.

Sorry, but that's just stupid.

Learn a bit about Hendrix and his innovative recording techniques, and the way he embraced whatever technology he could, learn that Plant was a vocalist... and then go tell your boss that you totally suck as a spammer.

Who's planning on getting one of those? On one hand, I don't like the idea of too much technology on a guitar - what was good for Hendrix and Plant, should be good for all of us.

Sorry, but that's just stupid.

Learn a bit about Hendrix and his innovative recording techniques, and the way he embraced whatever technology he could, learn that Plant was a vocalist... and then go tell your boss that you totally suck as a spammer.

Yep. Hendrix was a big innovator of using stomp boxes. Fuzz boxes, wah pedals, octave pedals... etc.

This guy's argument about Hendrix is well... wrong!

Yeah, that WOULD be cool. You'd really need for the tuner to be fast though.

Hey, that's another question... how long does the new guitar take to tune itself? I mean, with pracrice it only takes a few seconds to tune to DADGAD, I certainly wouldn't pay for something that took longer than I do to tune the guitar.

...On one hand, I don't like the idea of too much technology on a guitar - what was good for Hendrix and Plant, should be good for all of us...

The irony is had he gotten it right and written "Page" instead of "Plant", he'd still have been an ignoramus. Jimmy Page was one of the earliest adopters of the Trans-Performance self tuning system that pre-dates the Robot guitar by well over a decade. Jimmy Page loves this idea.

Moron spammer. I only wish they removed the link to keep Mr. Spammer from getting paid for placing it.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hey, that's another question... how long does the new guitar take to tune itself? I mean, with pracrice it only takes a few seconds to tune to DADGAD, I certainly wouldn't pay for something that took longer than I do to tune the guitar.

Dude, you edited your post again! So i missed this addition! :D

In the vids I have seen, it takes a few slow strums.. So say.. I dunno 10 seconds max.

But I think Neil could tune to DADGAD in about 3.2, I think I would be on a par with the autotune, although depending on my ear that day, I could be a little out of A440.

You can't possibly tune as fast as this system. A)It tunes every string simultaneouly. B)It need not check and recheck the string to complete it's tune. One strum and you're there. One pull of a knob, spin to the desired preset and push and you're tuned to a different tuning. If you can watch the videos they demonstrate how quick and easy the system works.

I'm an exceptional tuner. I know, I know... pretty arrogant sounding, but it's true. Repeated tuning to various alternate tunings and rarely using an electronic tuner (despite owning several) have given me pretty darned good relative tuning. I wouldn't even begin to think I could tune the entire guitar accurately across all six strings in 5 - 10x that which the robot guitar can tune up or retune to an alternate.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Dude, you edited your post again! So i missed this addition! :D

In the vids I have seen, it takes a few slow strums.. So say.. I dunno 10 seconds max.

But I think Neil could tune to DADGAD in about 3.2, I think I would be on a par with the autotune, although depending on my ear that day, I could be a little out of A440.

Doh! Here I am saying it can't be done and Trucks is elevating me to Bot beating status! :eek::D

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Okay... maybe 5 - 10x is an exaggeration, if I really were competing. But the system, if it's anything like the Trans-Performance, should be really quick. The Transperformance allows you to determine how quickly each string retunes so a single half step doesn't finish long before 5 or 6 on another string. That also allows you to use the switch from one tuning to another audibly in time with your song's tempo. ;) Pretty cool.

Boy I wish the Robot guitar had that ability!

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I seem to recall that in one of the blurbs from Gibby, that they claimed that the guitar will tune in somewhere around 2 seconds.

EVEN NEIL is only that fast when the guitar STARTS OUT IN TUNE TO BEGIN WITH!! ;):D

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Archived