Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's Become of Composers?

Kramer Ferrington III.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Big band is not at all the same as orchestrating for classical music. The guitar lends itself well to the songs of big band... to a degree. There's only so much even Brian Setzer has accomplished in this field. He's been re-hashing classic big band music as a cross with rock, not composing new music aimed at combining guitar and full orchestra.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I read a GP article awhile back about a piece where Andy Summers played electric guitar and Ben Verdery played classical guitar with an orchestra. I'd like to hear that!

There have always been a shortage of people who truly knew the guitar well enough to write for it, but who we also trained classical composers. Julian Bream said he sometimes had to sit down with composer who wrote for him and have them rewrite certain things that simply could not be played on guitar.

There are some fingerstyle guitarists who write really nice guitar pieces, sometimes with parts for other instruments. I think of Chris Proctor for one.

Are there great electric guitar composers out there? Probably - if there are, I'd love to hear them!

Yeah, writing for electric guitar and orchestra seems to be a pretty impossible task. I was thinking more of solo guitar pieces, something like this:

(I don't like this guy's performance that much, IMHO, he fluffs a few notes)

Here's the full thing

I wish someone would write stuff as good as this but using the full capacities of the electric including gain and whammy bars.

I think the major difficulty in electric guitar with orchestra composition is electric guitar voices do not blend well with existing orchestral arrangements. It always seems to sound like a solo instrument playing above the orchestra.

I agree with you, Neil. Occasionally at church I listen to the choir and orchestra wondering how any particular song would benefit from a distorted guitar. In my mind the only time it would work well would be a solo. Of course, then I wonder what everyone would think about me stomping on the old Tube Screamer and tearing off a nasty little solo complete with dive-bombs, tapping, and lighting the guitar on fire at the end. :rawk::D

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!

I wish someone would write stuff as good as this but using the full capacities of the electric including gain and whammy bars.

The trouble is that an overdriven electric guitar is an overwhelmingly dense sound. It's hard enough to tame big electrics to where you can understand the vocals in a rock song :lol:, so the detail of an orchestration is easily lost behind a squalling guitar.

Ronnie Montrose did a thing with orchestra, I'll have to look for it to get the title...

...I agree with you, Neil. Occasionally at church I listen to the choir and orchestra wondering how any particular song would benefit from a distorted guitar. In my mind the only time it would work well would be a solo. Of course, then I wonder what everyone would think about me stomping on the old Tube Screamer and tearing off a nasty little solo complete with dive-bombs, tapping, and lighting the guitar on fire at the end. :rawk::D

Well... at some churches I've seen that wouldn't be an issue at all. ;) More power to you if it moves your spirit (and the spirits of your fellow worshippers).

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Tony Lanman I think had a chamber piece in which the electric was used extensively, but it really was very different from what you'd expect in the typical rock context.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Just off the top of my head:

Robert Fripp

Eric Johnson

Pat Metheny (sp?)

Willie Oteri

Liberty Ellman - really nice stuff

John McLaughlin

Bill Frisell

Tons more really but often they are hyped for their soloing because it sells guitars and gear which brings in the wow factor mentioned. Few kids who buy guitars go to the trouble to listen to the arrangements. Also, music is shifting to more improvisation in the EU and Asia where several musicians are involved in a composition.

Archived