Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Very O.T. - Evel Knievel Dead At 69

Bottomgottem

Evel passed away at his home in Clearwater, Fl. today, Nov. 30th. He had apparently been in declining health.

Besides Big Bird, he was probably the first celebrity that I was ever aware of. He made me want a motorcycle soooo bad.

RIP, Evel.

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a funny thing about pop culture phenomena. You have to be the right age. (Music seems to be exempt from this.) I was too young for Howdy Doody and the Lone Ranger. I was too old for Masters of the Universe. I was just the right age for Evel Knievel.

I used to watch him on ABC's Wide World of Sports and I couldn't get enough of him. Me and my friends would take our stingray bikes and build these ridiculous jumps out of dirt mounds and plywood from all the Long Island construction in the 70's. We'd then set out to see if we couldn't kill ourselves. :D Man, I loved Evel Knievel.

I wonder if he didn't have as much to do with the birth of extreme sports as the Z-Boys?

Rest in peace and thanks for the memories, you old maniac.

Push the button Frank.

I was just the right age for Evel Knievel.

I used to watch him on ABC's Wide World of Sports and I couldn't get enough of him. Me and my friends would take our stingray bikes and build these ridiculous jumps out of dirt mounds and plywood from all the Long Island construction in the 70's. We'd then set out to see if we couldn't kill ourselves. :D Man, I loved Evel Knievel.

I wonder if he didn't have as much to do with the birth of extreme sports as the Z-Boys?

+1 You must be my lost twin from a different mother.....

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Archived