Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Replacement Neck question - Fender P and J etc

Robitaille59

I think I know the answer to this but I thought I'd throw it out to this wonderful forum.

Can I put a neck from a Fender P into the body of a Fender J?

Can I put a neck from a Fender J into the body of a Fender P?

Can I put one of these necks into the body of a Fender P?

http://www.warmoth.com/bass/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=include_13angled

Thank you in advance Bass Gurus!

Rob Robitaille

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually all of the necks are interchangable. However: in my opinion, the best sound transfer comes from instruments where the neck really fits tightly into the body pocket. Shifting necks are also a problem when you have a sloppy fit. All of these necks vary slightly, even at the factory, they try to match up components that fit snugly.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Usually all of the necks are interchangable. However: in my opinion, the best sound transfer comes from instruments where the neck really fits tightly into the body pocket. Shifting necks are also a problem when you have a sloppy fit. All of these necks vary slightly, even at the factory, they try to match up components that fit snugly.

Rocky

FWIW, on my Bass Collection bass (it's my #1, but I also experiment on it regularly....) I glued in the bolt-on neck with some wood glue; sort of like a set-neck. It ain't goin' anywhere. Of course, if something important breaks it'll be kindling after I remove the hardware, but i figured I'd be hard pressed to find a replacement neck anyway if the truss rod goes to the "truss rod land in the sky". Fretless, so a fret job isn't relevant. It works like a charm.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

FWIW, on my Bass Collection bass (it's my #1, but I also experiment on it regularly....) I glued in the bolt-on neck with some wood glue; sort of like a set-neck. It ain't goin' anywhere. Of course, if something important breaks it'll be kindling after I remove the hardware...

Also FWIW, if you ever do want to remove that neck without destroying the bass you can drizzle a little white vinegar into the joint; white vinegar will soften up that wood glue very easily. So your bass smells like a salad for a while...

1960 Japanese bass?! Curious of Holborn here. Got any photos?

Davo

Davo, it does not look anything like it did originally, I have reshaped the body, reshaped the headstock and painted it several times. It is solid mahogony, body and neck. 30" scale and dual pups that are very unique. I think I originally bought it in 62 or 63, I can't remember. It has a better tone, than any other bass I have owned. I don't have any photos but may take some and post them.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Archived