Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Groove Shoppe

Tom Capasso

Willie learned about the Groove Shoppe and spoke to David and Joel a few years ago at a BP event. Willie would mention them from time to time, mentioning how much he respected their advice. Last year we found out that they'd moved to Farmingdale, and Willie went to an event there (I couldn't make it).

This year we ran into David and Joel at BP Live. I was considering an MTD Z, and found out that The Groove Shoppe are dealers. I spoke with David about what sound I was looking for, and he confirmed that the Z wasn't going to have the sound I wanted. He said "come over - we'll find something for you".

A few weeks later I had some time and dropped in. David was there and remembered me and Willie. Let me say first off that I didn't buy anything (it takes me a long time to decide).

I spent about an hour and a half trying basses and talking equipment. David was great - patient while I played almost every bass he had, knowledgeable about the builders and companies that he represents, and we had a nice time. He had plenty of Fodera, Roscoe and Dingwalls in stock, along with lots of others. I played through a Demeter VTBP-201S and two Bergantino IP speakers (power amps built into the Bergs). I also tried a Thunderfunk head, but not much else in the way of cabs (there were plenty of Epifanis around).

I can't comment on all of the basses except to say that they were all beautiful. He did not have any Groove Shoppe basses, which are a Tobias-designed body with construction and neck by New York Bass works. Most of what was there were 5s and I'm looking for a 4, so it was more of a gear lust session for me than a real shopping trip.

The one bass that had me going was the Dingwall Super J 4. It had all of the first-rate Dingwall contruction attributes - beautiful woodwork, perfect frets and body, great finish (red, I might add), and smooth electronics. It was very light, and sounded fantastic. It took me a few minutes to figure out playing by the nut, since the angle of the frets is more pronounced there, and the spacing wasn't very big. Once I got going, I didn't want to put it down. It was very smooth to play, with a great neck profile. What a fine bass!!

David made a point of saying that while he plays, his expertise is in working with builders and customers. He says that helping people find the right feel and tone are his strength. We talked about cables, gig bags, and other accessories - It's clear that they are the bass resource I've missed in the NY area. Most of all, he wants to establish relationships with customers so that they can feel comfortable hanging out.

They do a large internet business and seem like quality guys. Stop by: http://www.thegrooveshoppe.com

David is planning another get-together after winter NAMM. I look forward to hanging out !!

Tom

http://www.thegrooveshoppe.com/xcart/files/cache/ecc12a498f6bead60e507aba835a19ae.jpg

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thomas,

Glad you were finally able to make the trip. Joel and the Beez are exceedingly nice fellahs. And, yes, The Groove Shoppe does nothing at all to alleviate gear lust or G.A.S. unless you happen to break out your credit card or peel some benjamins off of your roll of dough.

I hope to make it out to them again soon with my amp and bass to test every cab that they have in stock.

They've been raving about the Berg IP series.

Madball, I really could see you wielding a red Dingwall J4...

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I'm not ready to spend for the Dingwall, but it fit me in so many ways.

I'm looking to bring my entire rig out there and have David give me a class on parametric EQ settings and suggestions on getting more "oomph" out of my EA 500.

Maybe we should both go in January some weekend, and make it a LD event for the (few other) Long Islanders and those willing to travel.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Hi Tom,

It was great having you in and I look forward to your next visit! If you wanted to organize an LD event that would be very cool also. We're trying to reach the local bass community,we've never had a bass specialty shop in NY and there is a lot that we can do to help out our fellow bass players.

(One small correction. The Groove Shoppe 5 basses are designed solely by Mike Tobias.David Seagal of NYBW does all of the assembly for us)

They've been raving about the Berg IP series.

Madball, I really could see you wielding a red Dingwall J4...

You're a Berg IP series.

I love LOVE those Dingwall jazz basses. They play and sound wonderful.

After visiting that link to The Groove Shoppe I need to super glue my credit card into my wallet. Immediately if not sooner.

b5pilot - take a look at the Dingwall site for an explanation of the fanned frets. It's not for comfort, but for better sound and intonation. You're right about Lee Sklar playing a Dingwall (he plays lots of different basses as well).

Beezelite - thanks for the correction about your basses, and I look forward to trying one out. I'm happy to see a bass-only shop in NY!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Archived