Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

To ream or not to ream... that is the question.

VeloDoug

To ream or not  

42 members have voted

1. 1. To ream or not

Hello all... I just scored a Warmoth neck cheap, but have an issue or two I need to lick before I can use it. I'm using it to replace the neck of a Japanese Kramer from the late '80s.

The tuners I have are a bit too wide for the tuner holes on the Warmoth. Should I ream the holes to match the tuners, or buy new tuners?

I know that once you take wood away, you can't put it back, so in a money is no object decision I'd get some tuners.

However, I only paid $75 for the neck so I'm hesitant to drop nearly that much on a set of tuners.

MUSCLE:91 Mesa Mk4(rack mounted)|Mesa F30|Mesa Nomad45|'78 Marshall 4x12

HEART:07 Gibson LP Std 50s Neck|86 Jackson Soloist|92 PRS Custom 24|01 PRS Singlecut|Taylor 814ce|MIM Strat

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much too big? 1/8", 1/16"? Less?

1/8 = .125 and 1/16 = .0625.

Which is .0625 PER SIDE of hole for 1/8" and .03125 PER SIDE for 1/16".

You know you have the stock towards the middle of the headstock, it's how much you're taking our from that one side to the outside of the headstock that might weaken.

I had the same issue with the two guitars I built. I reamed them, and actually did it with a electric hand drill. It worked fine. Drill the holes BEFORE you apply any finish. If you use lacquer, drilling after the lacquer is already on will lead to some of the lacquer pealing off as the drill comes out the back side of the hole.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

You don't want to buy new tuners for a cheap neck. Someday you may want to put some good tuners on a good neck, if you buy new ones now and they don't fit an expensive neck, down the road, then you wind up having to ream a good neck. Best to do it to the cheap neck and save the good tuners for later.

If they are locking tuners then just reuse them..

But if its a standard tuner, then I would replace them.

Yeah... it is a locking nut, so the tuners are somewhat inconsequential from this standpoint too.

HEART:07 Gibson LP Std 50s Neck|86 Jackson Soloist|92 PRS Custom 24|01 PRS Singlecut|Taylor 814ce|MIM Strat

How much too big? 1/8", 1/16"? Less?

1/8 = .125 and 1/16 = .0625.

Which is .0625 PER SIDE of hole for 1/8" and .03125 PER SIDE for 1/16".

You know you have the stock towards the middle of the headstock, it's how much you're taking our from that one side to the outside of the headstock that might weaken.

They would almost fit if I forced them... so I think we are talking about maybe 1/64". There won't be a structural impact on the neck if I decide to ream.

You don't want to buy new tuners for a cheap neck. Someday you may want to put some good tuners on a good neck, if you buy new ones now and they don't fit an expensive neck, down the road, then you wind up having to ream a good neck. Best to do it to the cheap neck and save the good tuners for later.

The neck is actually high-end... new it would be about $300. It is a solid piece of wood with an ebony board and pre-routed for a Floyd Rose nut. Oil finished... sweet, fast neck.

I got it cheap because it isn't in great shape cosmetically. There is a chip in the ebony at the end of the fretboard past the 22nd fret (won't effect playability or stability. There is a spur on the 22nd fret (near the chip) on the bass side of the board, so I can do a quick file on that since I don't anticipate every playing my low E on the 22nd fret.

Nonetheless... I'm anxious to re-use the hardware I have and the tuning pegs aren't important on a Floyd guitar, so this isn't an 'upgrade' scenario.

I'm definitely leaning toward the reaming.

Archived