Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT/ Fires in Southern CA

Bytored

Hope none of you here are effected by this firestorm going on down there. I heard about the fires but failed to realize just how big the situation was until I got on the Carvin forum and heard that the factory was evacuated!! More importantly I talked with my sister, who lives in Chula Vista, miles from where I thought the actual fires were is about 2 miles from the mandatory evacuation line as of yesterday afternoon!! They are packed and ready to go.

If any of you are out there stay safe and get out when and if they tell you to!

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a horrible situation out there right now. Because of the winds, the Firemen are having a terrible time getting the fires out. A lot of homes have been lost and I believe the governor declared a state of emergency.

All my best to anyone who is out there. Hopefully the fires will be contained soon and this can all come to an end.

It's shitty out here at the moment especially for the people directly affected....so many structures lost etc etc etc. It's silly to complain about the high winds and stuff and the dryness when some people are in a world of crap...but anyway.....it is dry, windy, hot and overall nasty. My yard looks like a disaster area, you cannot see my planters for leaves and branches, general yard debris.

But thanks goodness my house is not near the bad area's right now.

Yes we feel awfull for the people who have been hit by the fires.....animals too.

I feel for you Californians. I can't imagine what such large wildfires are like. And although other parts of the country experience these fires, I can't imagine any of them compare in population density to Southern California. The pictures of parts of San Diego county this morning were amazing considering it should've been pitch black in those areas. (It was 4:30am, PST when I tuned in.)

I don't think I have to worry much about my grandmother in Woodland Hills.. but I do. We have plenty of relatives in the viscinity, but she's 99 years old. While she's still relatively independent, I don't know what she'd do if cut off from her kids & grandkids.

We've dodged a bullet here in Tennessee. The rains have finally come and are staying long enough to ensure we don't resemble that area. The downside is they came in so hard and fast that strong winds most trees should easily have endured fell because of the weakened state caused by the drought.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

The air quality is H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E. If I had an oxygen tank I would use it. My apartment is downwind from the Irvine fire and you have to keep windows shut most of the time and spray Lysol inside. Ashes on the car. My car A/C has a stale smell which means it stays off for a while. Today it's supposed to get to 98 which is really making things worse.

San Diego now resembles the aftermath of a war in many areas. It's worse than 4 years ago when fires hit. I'm really worried about the Wild Animal Park near Escondido. :(

Big animals can't just pack and go like people can.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

It's something we go through every year. Then there are one or two bad years every decade. This year is the really bad decade of this century, due largely to the worst drought in recorded history. I've lived in LA about 45 years, & this is the worst I've ever seen for fires. Oddly, unlike Fumblyfingers, we've had no wind in our neighborhood at all. None. I'm in Mt Washington, which is mid way between Downtown LA, Glendale & Pasadena & at this moment it's as still as a graveyard. Not a leaf is swaying.

Several years ago was the worst season in many decades, with massive fires in San Diego County & enough going on in the Castaic/Santa Clarita area that my flight home was delayed, then diverted, but the San Diego authorities are all saying this is hugely worse than that year. Last count was there are 12 out of control fires raging, another day of strong wind predicted, not enough fire crews & planes, & lots of houses going up in flames every minute. Lake Arrowhead is taking it on the chin right now.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Yes Scott, my in-laws are in Hancock Park and they say nary a breeze there.

At my work we have had our outside scene dock go over a couple times...set walls everywhere and it was blowing so hard at one point that a section of 10'X12' chain link fence we were carrying to set up, was being almost blown out of our hands...that's with almost nothing except wire and tubing for the wind to act against!!!

Our filming in Irvine was cancelled for Mon and Tues...we go there tomorrow to strike out the equipment.

Like I said, my yard...which is in the leaf vortex of the USA...is covered in leaves...my neighbours yards are all clean...all their leaves are in my yard. You can watch them blowing up the street on both sides...coming from both directions...then right in fron of my house the wind changes and funnels everything straight up my drive and into the yard...aaAAAARGH!!!

Oh well, better than being burned out....my gripe is trite compared to what is going on....but still.....

It looked awful on tonight's news!

Yeah, I just heard on the news there are something like 950,000 people evacuated from their homes. That's more than were displaced by Katrina, according to Brian Williams on the NBC news. It's getting rather post-apocalyptic looking here, dark smoke overhead, just a sliver of light between the clouds & the tops of the San Gabriel Mountains, even though the sun is still out.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

My buddy and his wife are up around Valencia, near Santa Clarita, Chatsworth and I haven't been able to get a hold of them yet. I wonder what' going on out that way?

Lots of evacuations up there. They're getting hammered by 3 or 4 big fires in that general area. The good news is that relatively few homes have been lost in those fires. The biggest losses have been in Orange County, San Diego County & Lake Arrowhead. Just now, 8:00pm, a helicopter pilot reported no visible fires in Santa Clarita as of 10 minutes ago, many little spot fires a ways away at Lake Piru. So, hopefully your friends are doing OK, & may just be hanging out at an evacuation center.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

My buddy and his wife are up around Valencia, near Santa Clarita, Chatsworth and I haven't been able to get a hold of them yet. I wonder what' going on out that way?

Lots of evacuations up there. They're getting hammered by 3 or 4 big fires in that general area. The good news is that relatively few homes have been lost in those fires. The biggest losses have been in Orange County, San Diego County & Lake Arrowhead. Just now, 8:00pm, a helicopter pilot reported no visible fires in Santa Clarita as of 10 minutes ago, many little spot fires a ways away at Lake Piru. So, hopefully your friends are doing OK, & may just be hanging out at an evacuation center.

Scott Fraser

THANKS for that Scott! it's 12:16 here now and still no word. His home machine didn't come on as it normally does but a telephone system message came on to leave a message. His cell phone did take a message so maybe he will call back. I called his mom's house up near King City-Gonzales area and she has not heard from him either. I'll try again tomorrow..thanks for the info!!

Valencia...Santa Clarita etc ....Stevenson's Ranch has seen evacuations....my wifes aunt lives up there in Stevenson's Ranch and was evacuated but I think they are home now.

Chatsworth is fine Ell....nothing going on here except smoky air...my kids school is closed tomorrow because of it...unhealthful air.

I have to go into Irvine with a crew tomorrow to strike our equipment outa there. I spent a while prepping for that tonight....long pants, boots, long sleeve T etc etc and a respirator in case. I normally NEVER wear shorts...it has to be miserably cold and raining to get me in long pants but I figure it is going to be dirty down there.

If you can't reach your buddy, let me know if there is anything I can do to help....I will be glad to.

Valencia...Santa Clarita etc ....Stevenson's Ranch has seen evacuations....my wifes aunt lives up there in Stevenson's Ranch and was evacuated but I think they are home now.

Chatsworth is fine Ell....nothing going on here except smoky air...my kids school is closed tomorrow because of it...unhealthful air.

I have to go into Irvine with a crew tomorrow to strike our equipment outa there. I spent a while prepping for that tonight....long pants, boots, long sleeve T etc etc and a respirator in case. I normally NEVER wear shorts...it has to be miserably cold and raining to get me in long pants but I figure it is going to be dirty down there.

If you can't reach your buddy, let me know if there is anything I can do to help....I will be glad to.

Lister/Scott, he just called from the road, he is headed up to his moms in King City, his wife is azmatic and she's having a very bad time of it, the clinic told him to get her out of the area! the house is ok he said. I guess they are beyond the threat of being burned out. Thanks for the offer Lister!! very nice of you! I can sleep now LOL!!!

You are welcome Ell.

I don't know if you can compare Katrina to these fires....but it seems that San Diego has a really good set of plans in place for handling a disaster of this magnitude and even crime is well under control from what I hear. They have tents for people, ample food and water, citizens, restuarants and storeowners are kicking in, counseling medical services etc etc displaced people in general are saying they want for nothing, the city has it all covered. Kudo's to them.

As is usual, the firemen are doing an outstanding job everywhere....some of them on the line for hours on end with no break. This is when you step up and show your mettle and those guys have it.... no doubt.

As for the friggen selfish idiots that refuse to leave when they are told to evacuate....they end up putting firemen and policemen at risk because now they have to stay to try protect the idiot that won't just go.... like everyone else. There always has to be a dumbass. Anyway.....don't get me started.....

Yeah this one is going to be really bad when all the losses are tallied. I cannot imagine losing my home and everything in it to a fire. My wife was burned out of her apartment during the LA Riots...lost everything...heirloom jewerly, photo's, documents etc etc etc. Her family came to get her and the jammies she had on was all she had left.

Anyway I really feel for these folks who had to lose out. While it is awesome they are safe, you still have to wonder how it must suck to lose your life's posessions.

Archived