Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS? No, more like necessity...

Griffinator

I'm about to take the plunge on a used Line 6 TubeTone AX2.212, because my venerable old Peavey has just about had it. Last night at a tune-up gig, the gain channel began shorting out intermittently (creating a rather unwelcome random tremolo effect that completely destroyed my timing and that of the bassist standing next to me)

The one I'm buying is coming from a local dealer, $500 used, but includes the $350 floorboard, so I figure it's worth the premium.

I've played the thing before, and I really dug the way it sounded - but my question for the board is, do we know any dirty reliability secrets about this thing before I dive in? I'd really rather not make a $500 mistake...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, some instrument purchases are necessities... if you are going to be playing them regularly, especially on stage.

Or it might be a personal necessity, if you just want to explore a new musical avenue.

A certain amount of common sense might be in order once in a while... like if you're spending half your paycheck on instrument payments!

I knew a guy who used one of those, mostly for Tele/country stuff, and loved it. Like most early Line 6 stuff, it gets great clean tones, and super mondo distorto stuff, but can be problematic for medium-gain sounds.

I think you can get more that sort of thing better by trying to push amp models that are more clean in sound (Twin Reverb, Dual Showman) into medium distortion than trying to clean up models that are usually more dirty sounding(Marshall, Tweed Bassman). I think the models like to be run a little hot rather than backed down on gain. When I tried to clean up a 100 watt Marshall model(which in real life is not hard to do, really), it sounded kinda constipated...

Other than that, I don't know any real secrets about that amp to share, but as long as it's in good shape inside and out, $500 is a good deal with the board included. I think you can still download tones for it off the website.

Let us know what you come up with if you buy it.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

They look interesting... Have you also tried a Line 6 Flextone? I got a Flextone II XL, for around $400 used, its a 2x12 2x50w, so can get pretty damn loud... But obviously you dont HAVE to turn it all the way up :-) Might be worth checking out.. If you have not 100% decided on the tubetone yet, that is.

They look interesting... Have you also tried a Line 6 Flextone? I got a Flextone II XL, for around $400 used, its a 2x12 2x50w, so can get pretty damn loud... But obviously you dont HAVE to turn it all the way up :-) Might be worth checking out.. If you have not 100% decided on the tubetone yet, that is.

+100 that is a great idea Trucks! I've got one also and they really are a great amp! expecially with the big floorboard, very easy to program and the models sound great and man are they LOUD!! LINK: http://www.wholenote.com/products/gallery.asp?i=108&r=2512

The biggest reasons I want to go with the TubeTone:

1) I've already been in there to play with it, I know what I'm buying. Used off E-bay is a lot sketchier.

2) I always loved the Vox Valvetronix modeling amps because of their little dummy-load tube circuit, and getting a Line6 with a similar circuit for a lot less than a new Vox is a very appealing idea.

I'm sure I could probably negotiate them down to $400 on this one - but I do find the price fair, when I look at the board being included in the package. Sure, getting a deal is sweet, but I'm the kind of guy who will pay what you ask if I find your asking price reasonable.

Archived