Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Boonies gig

Bluesape

Had a blast this weekend, playing at a remote clearing near the Bruce Peninsula on Georgian Bay. We were about 25 miles south of there. Power was supplied by Honda generators, and I slept in a tent for the first time in over 30 years.

We were the headliners, and one of the other 2 bands backed out at the last minute, after the T-shirts commemorating the event were made up, so all 3 bands are listed.

It's an annual event, with proceeds going to a local charity. It was our first time, but they want us back next year.

Our PA was used, and I tried the other band's lead player's Deville. Nice amp! My old Gibson amp was there too, but my rig is quirky and his is straightforward, so we opted to share his rig for the gig. Our bass rig and drums were also used by both bands.

My initial concerns for our gear, which I mentioned in another thread, were unwarranted. This place felt like home, and everyone was there for a good time. Lotsa booze and whatever else, but nobody overstepped. One thing I was reminded of was what a starry night looks like. The Milky Way, shooting stars, slowly creeping satellites, all were visible in absence of man-made light. Living too long in cities can make ya forget what pristine wilderness is like, especially at night.

Can't say we played at our best, but we were well received. The other guys were younger, but played a broad range, from Elvis to the Chili Peppers, and played well. Midnight was shut-down, and we closed the show with "Voodoo Chile", just like always, then it was time to pull out the flattops and carry on unplugged. All in all, it was one of the best gigs ever, and we can't wait to go back.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fantastic Reif!! that is a great kind of gig to do! I love those, it's been a real long time since we where on generators, lots of playing outside but usually city power is available. Ya got any pic's of the gig or sound clips, that would be great if you do!! :) wow and it sure does take one heck of a PA to cover a outside gig!

Thx, Lee! Pics will be forthcoming, clips are a possibility, as the other guitarist with us brought a digital recorder along.

One gripe: digital readouts are invisible in direct sunlight! I may seriously consider individual pedals again for outdoor gigs.

The PA was the same 200 watts per side Peavey that we use in small clubs! If anything, it was almost overkill! I had concerns it might not cut it, but it was up to the task.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Ain't it grand to play out in the country, sky above and earth below rather than in a bar/hotel/etc. full of stale air?

I remember being kicked back into reality several times when I found myself far from bright lights. Several times on tour through central and west central Canada I was reminded how many stars are visible from Earth when the interference is gone. :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Sounds wonderful Reif! God I haven't slept in a tent since I was a teenager. Used to go camping every summer in the Sequoias. If you have any pics of your adventure,please post em! And yeah-the stars are amazing when you escape the city. It's amazing how dark nights really are when you're totally away from the city glow.

Archived