Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Goodbye Flatwounds

jar546

I originally put flatwounds on to help me get that old 70's tube sound and it worked. I even liked the feel of the smooth strings.

I did not realize just how much more tension it causes on the bass and makes it harder to depress to stay away from the buzzing sound. I recently removed them since I have the Sansamp BDI and WOW what a difference. The strings seem so easy to play now. It was like the tension from the flatwounds worked as a muscle builder and my playing has improved now that I am back to "normal" strings.

Just thought I would share this small bit of info.

I just bought some Fender 7250's for when the original strings I put back on wear out.

"The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know" by Me

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you like the feel and sound of the flats and want the low tension I'd highly recommend TI Jazz Flats. They are a little pricey but well worth it in my opinion.
Music has no boundaries. It is yours to discover, to enjoy, to draw from and to pass on to others.

Three people all agree on TI Jazz Flats. I will have to pick up a set just to try them out. I still need to improve on my playing skills so I can finish my collection.

I only have one Bass, a Fender American P-Bass (Highway One Sunburst)

My dream is to own a matching Fender Jazz and a:

Stingray 5

Then I will be done.

First I need to deserve them by continuing to practice. You can have the best equipment in the world and still suck.

Jeremy C said:

I hate to burst your bubble. You will never be done wanting more gear.

OH NO! Is this like a curse? Maybe it is the musicians form of addiction.

I was not talking about amps & pedals, only guitars.

I just talked to a kid in the music store near me and he is in his early 20's and has 9 1/2 guitars. I did not feel like asking what the 1/2 was. :)

....so I can finish my collection......Then I will be done......

I hate to burst your bubble. You will never be done wanting more gear. :)

Not true!!! As soon as I get another fretless and one of them there Epifani UL-902C and maybe a really nice DI and a couple of those Bergantino powered cabs, I'm done! Oh yeah, can't have a powered cab without a really nice preamp. And I definitely should consider a new upright. Then again, I was reading the tread about Max's set up...

My dream is to own a matching Fender Jazz and a:

Stingray 5

Then I will be done.

Ho Ho Ho, Ha Ha Ha, You will be done? I don't think so :laugh:

Rocky :snax:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

What type of flats did you have on your bass..

The Jamerson set of Labellas .52 -.73 .95 and .108 are brutal on bass necks but if you drop down to the

Labella LAB_760FL light flats .43 .60 .82 and .104 -

they work real well...different from the TI's

Maybe you need to experiment with a few differnt sets before saying good bye to flats..they do sound great...

www.danielprine.com

Archived