Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Any way to rip audio only from a concert DVD?

Gruuve

Hey folks:

There's a song on a concert DVD that I have that I don't have on CD. Is there any easy way to rip the audio-only as an MP3 from the concert DVD? I've got both Windows Media Player and the iTunes software (usually rip from WMP, then sync to the iPod from iTunes), but it doesn't look like either of them will let me do this (unless I'm just not seeing the option).

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I can't help you with a specific tool, as I don't run Windows, but what you need to look for is a tool that demultiplexes, which is to say, separates the audio and video streams. You can then throw away the video stream, and cut/convert the audio stream as you see fit.

If you had access to a Linux machine, then there's a utility called DVD::Rip that does a great job at this.

Not that I would ever endorse using pirated software of course.........but.......

if you download a piece of freeware called DVD Dycrypter you'll be able to rip the DVD to you're hard-drive.

Then if you were to acquire something like Sony Vegas you'll be able to cut out the segments you want as .wav files and then using something like Sony Soundforge you can convert them to MP3 format.

music is the answer, who cares what the question is

let me say that making a backup of media you buy is covered by fair use provisions in copyright law. having said that, the DMCA made breaking any form of copy protection a crime. So even though you have the right to backup your DVD, the only way to do it is to become a criminal, even though you have a right to..

Having given you that info, I'll simply say:

doom9.net

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

I use 'Audacity' for such things - it can capture any sound your pooter hears and/or makes. Just tell it to capture from the 'Stereo Mix', start recording, then start the DVD track.When finished, go back and edit out the silences etc before and after, then save as MP3. I suspect the proper DVD audio rippers will do a better job, but Audacity is freeware.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

I use 'Audacity' for such things - it can capture any sound your pooter hears and/or makes.

Ah yes, I should have thought of that simple solution...this would presumably convert it to analog then back to digital, but then the song I want to rip is from the late 70's anyway, so I can't imagine that I could detect any sound quality degradation as long as the levels are set decent. ;) Thanks for the suggestion!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I use this. I do it all the time when I have a DVD that I'd love to listen to in the car. It will rip the audio in wav files. Then I burn them to an audio cd to play in the car. I also convert to mp3 so I can put them on my mp3 player.
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

If you have a sound card in your computer that has RCA-type inputs, you can just connect the audio outs from the DVD player to the input jacks and record away. I've created a few CD's from DVD's using the machine that I have dedicated for recording.

I may sugest NERO 6 as this program allows you to have multitracks i.e image + sound + subtitles.

May work for you.

I have it at home but never used it as the manual seems too big

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Archived