Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

White Room

Ross Brown

Please bear with me if this is dumb. Sometimes I do that It is as if I think I know what I am talking about:

Working on White Room (Cream) with the band last night, I noticed that I was ahead of the beat by what seemed like a lot. Perhaps because I usually find myself well behind. I havent gone back to the CD to give it a listen again, but I wonder if it was actually me way ahead or the drummer way behind. Sounded OK but was real interesting to me. I was trying different things ie holding back and playing on beat. Messed me up

Could it be that this is actually a song that the bass is ahead of the beat or am I messing it up? Guitar and I were on same beat (I am usually a bit behind him too).

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cream really kicked on that song. I had that LP when it came out, and used to listen to it on the hi-fi. 78 RPM vinyl, with the scratches and all. Dad, trying to watch the evening news, would holler from the other room for me to turn it down.

That was 40 years ago and it seems like it could have been yesterday.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Is it the 5/4 bits you're having trouble with?

The version I have is on Jack's solo album Doing This.... on Ice! from a live performance. There's a a 5/4 section that pops up several times. I don't have the Cream version to compare it to so here's what I have to offer to describe the form:

Starts in 4/4

Extra verse: Higher on the wire...

Jam a bit (8 measures, slow 4/4)

5/4 bit (8 measures at tempo)

V: In the White Room

C: I'll wait in this place

V: You said no strings

C: Wait in the queue

5/4 bit

V: At the Party

C: Wait (Sleep) in this place*

5/4 bit

Extended outro in 4/4 (12 measures of glorious Jack Bruce fretlessness)

5/4 bit

crash out.

* Jack says "wait" in this version, the lyrics I found online say "sleep" - there are a couple other places where Jack changed things up but my point is to get you to the right location in the song.

That may be a bit more than you're looking for, or not at all what you're after, but you made me listen to a CD I nearly forgot I owned and have never listened to outside my car. Suddenly, Jack is my man... he rocks. I owe you one.

Good luck on this. Are you going fretless?

- Matt W.

If you can't tell who is on the beat and who isn't, you should quit trying to be cute and just play on the beat.

Playing with a metronome will show you where you tend to play in time.

The drummer is off.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Is it the 5/4 bits you're having trouble with?

The version I have is on Jack's solo album Doing This.... on Ice! from a live performance. There's a a 5/4 section that pops up several times. I don't have the Cream version to compare it to so here's what I have to offer to describe the form:

Starts in 4/4

Extra verse: Higher on the wire...

Jam a bit (8 measures, slow 4/4)

5/4 bit (8 measures at tempo)

V: In the White Room

C: I'll wait in this place

V: You said no strings

C: Wait in the queue

5/4 bit

V: At the Party

C: Wait (Sleep) in this place*

5/4 bit

Extended outro in 4/4 (12 measures of glorious Jack Bruce fretlessness)

5/4 bit

crash out.

* Jack says "wait" in this version, the lyrics I found online say "sleep" - there are a couple other places where Jack changed things up but my point is to get you to the right location in the song.

That may be a bit more than you're looking for, or not at all what you're after, but you made me listen to a CD I nearly forgot I owned and have never listened to outside my car. Suddenly, Jack is my man... he rocks. I owe you one.

Good luck on this. Are you going fretless?

Trouble is during the "V" from above... Not going fretless. Needless to say I am not playing it as well as Jack Bruce, but I do like playing it.

Archived