Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboards..?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I'm not denying that there's a LOT of keyboard playing going on out there: there's a whole dance scene which is almost 100% keyboards. I was just asking if it was just my impression, or whether keyboards and guitars have taken a bit of a fork in the road.

Re: the Human League Yup, he did say that. And I was one of the guys that took him seriously. :) Mind you, he later DID say that he wrote mostof his songs on an acoustic guitar, of all things. The reasoning being that if a song works on acoustic guitar, it'll work on anything.

I like all that 80's music.

I'm not just into rock...but just about anything that sounds good.

Hey, if it's got keys and guitars....it's all good. :grin: :rawk:

Billy Idol, ZZ-Top, Men at Work, Berlin, Crowded House, whatever. It's all music, and it's all FUN!! :)

Randy

"Just play!"

It takes more time and effort to become proficient on a keyboard than a guitar, I think.

I don't think that is true Picker. I think it is easier in the beginning to learn a couple of chords and a couple of scales and start making music on the guitar because you can change keys just by moving the same shapes around. But after the initial hurdle of learning to play in different keys on piano, the layout of the keyboard has some real advantages over the guitar in terms of understanding how eveything fits together. As an example, if you play a major scale on piano it is really simple from there to harmonize the scale into chords even for a beginner. If you know the chords you also know the arpeggios covering the entire keyboard. Extended chords, inversions, modes ect. are all much easier to grasp on piano IMO.

Technique wise I think they are probably a wash. Both have their challenges. Right and left hand independance can be challenging on keys, but probably no more so than developing a really solid picking technique. Different but probablly no more difficult.

I think there is a probably a different standard as to what people consider to be proficient on the two instruments however.

Yeah, when I first started learning keys and getting into it after being a guitar player since 1974, I was pleasantly surprised at how LOGICAL keys were to learn.

Getting started on keys really got me out of a musical slump I'd been in for a while.

It's a lot of fun not to mention...makes you more versatile and valuable to a group or for your recording capabilities.

Randy

"Just play!"

Archived