Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jukebox software OT

Paul K

Ladies and Gentlemen

I've ripped my collection of CDs, etc. to a USB hard drive. Yes, it took a long time. I'd like to dedicate an old laptop to function as the commander of my jukebox. I like the way Windows Media Player 11 functions; the playlist is so easy to use and I like the way it shows the picture of the album, how I can drag and drop a whole bunch of tunes at a time instead of one at a time, etc. Problem is that this old laptop won't run Win XP, so I'm stuck using something Win98SE or Win2000 compatible (Or delve into Linux territory). And I just don't like Media Player version 9; it's almost easier to load the damn CD's into the changer.

I'd just use my regular desktop computer (it's usually turned on anyway...), but the cable run is too long to the home stereo. I've done it, and I get a monster 60Hz hum. I bought a Wi-Fi thingy for cheap on eBay that unfortunately isn't compatible with Win Media Player (you can only get at your tunes through this box so you also have to connect it to a TV to work the menus, and I can't get it to work even if it did, which sucks 'cause the rest of my home network works flawlessly.) I am inches away from running a bunch of XLR/low impedence/balanced/microphone cables with couple of high-to-low impedence/direct box things at either end.

Anybody have any better ideas? A jukebox program as good as media player 11 that works on win 98Se or 2000?(98Se preferred; the laptop? She's and old girl) A Wi-Fi thingy that simply converts mp3 and wma data to analog? It's gotta sound good; I ripped all this stuff at a pretty high bit rate.

Anybody? Beuller?

Peace

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update on this unloved thread.

I solved the problem by running the digital coax output (SPDIF) of my soundcard of my good computer to the digital audio input of the receiver. It's digital clean, no wi-fi hassles, and I already had the required coax with RCA ends in the good ol' box of cables-n-odds-n-ends. I was concerned that the digital information wouldn't make it intact to the end of this rather long run, but it works flawlessly. I am nothing if not tenacious.

So now, what to do with an old laptop.....

Peace

Paul K

... what to do with an old laptop.....

I use an old laptop (64Mb RAM, 10Gb HDD) running WinMe as a practice tool. I have MP3s of the songs we play (we do covers) and play them back through Winamp. I sometime use the 'Slowdown' plugin to change pitch and/or tempo, or massage them through Audacity to do the same thing, writing out another MP3. I set up playlists of the sets and brackets for practice and gigs (if we get lucky) and just play against that. Works for me. Since it is only practice the quality of the sound does not matter all that much.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

• 1 month later...

The digital line has been set up and working flawlessly for some time now. I am very impressed with how robust the SPDIF signal is. I ran it over 50 feet AND at the end I split the signal to feed two receivers (I've speakers all over the house). I didn't even solder the joints; just used RCA female-female cheater connectors. The cable route was easier than expected since I still had the old pair of RCA cables (the had the 60Hz buzzzzzz when using an analog signal) in place for half of the run. Much better than Wi-Fi.

Highly recommended, and I've got a boat anchor for sale for anyone interested.

Peace

Paul K

Archived