Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

German Bowing?

zamp101591

Another URB question. Yesterday i got a new upright, a Romanian made bass from Matthias Thoma in a dark satin finish. I love how it looks, plays, and sounds, definitely a great step up from my last bass. The only problem is that it came with a German bow. I learned on a french bow that i traded in with my old bass (I'm glad to get rid of it, it was made with fake horse hair and couldn't hold rosin for more than five minutes). Ive never played a German Bow and was wondering if anyone had any advice?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I play German bow. I needed a teacher to show me how to hold it before I was able to hold it correctly. It's not enough to look at a picture, you have to understand how to hold it.

http://www.uvm.edu/~mhopkins/string/images/germanBow1.jpg

Keep your hand as loose as possible. The weight of your arm should be focused at the thumb...the other fingers should only be keeping the bow from falling out of your hand. I think that the image above is ok...but the fingers are a bit too rigid and bent. I relax my fingers more.

Start with long whole notes and try to keep the upbow and downbow sounding even. Notice how it's easier to get the string going at the frog than at the tip...accept that it's a fact of life, but also accept that you'll have to start the string from the tip sometimes and work on making that sound good.

If you press down into the string, it will sound thin and choked. Relax your arm completely and let its weight do the work for you and you'll be rewarded with a full sound.

Archived