Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wireless systems

blueross

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. X2's engineers devised it with the original X-wire, which was the polar opposite of the new device. Pricey, a large rackmount and word has it it ate batteries by the box. (Although it was also one of the first, if not the first to put a battery life meter on the receiver.

I don't know why they went under, but in the end they sold their technology to Sennheiser who built their own versions, not only for instruments but for mic capsules as well. The price was still cost prohibitive when compared with their new, revolutionary analog uhf Evolution wireless systems which could be had for around $450 - $500. The Evolution wireless brought much better filtering for more frequencies available in a compact unit that was comparable to the standard, multi-thousand dollar Shure U-series and Sony wireless which were the standard in the pro-touring industry. The major differences between the low line Evolution and high line were pro features regarding large scale, multiple use setups and better output features and metering.

The point is, Sennheiser essentially rendered the digital wireless un-sustainable because of the proven uhf band products released about the same time. They quickly abandoned digital wireless. I'm unsure how the people from X-wire reacquired the rights to build the digital wireless technology that was modified to become the X2 product released 6 or 7 months ago.

To my knowledge nobody has followed suit with digital wireless products for mics and instruments.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived