Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Unplugging event has benefit

Ross Brown

The band, I think, had an epiphany last night at rehearsal. I had an unfortunate but brief unplugging event during a Stevie Ray Vaughn style version of Mary Had a Little Lamb. Of course everyone continued and I joined back in after several measures. When we were done the guitarist asked if I was going to do that Saturday night (our first real gig as a band). You left us hanging was his comment. The singer said yea, the whole song just dies without the bass.

I just apologized and smiled. I believe I had been appreciated in some sort of strange way.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh yeah! Usually about the only positive feedback you get, or need. Methinks they worry too much, what's a few seconds with no bass - it would work well with the audience to feel the power of the bass when it re-enters. I did a similar thing twice at my last gig: once pre-planned for a dynamic change for the third verse of a tune, once impromptu when I stopped to wave at someone in the audience.

Nothing like those impromptu unplugs, huh? I'm notorious for stepping on my cords and unplugging my bass or my in-ear monitor or something. I usually just get laughed at, though. :blush:
A stiffy somewhere in the city sewer system...

It's fascinating to see people in the band panic when the bass stops. Nobody even blinks when the guitarist or keyboardist stops.

And I'm the only one who seems to notice if the drummer is playing with only one hand because he has dropped a stick or is adjusting something.

I once played with a drummer who dropped out for an entire verse. I was a little shocked when he stopped and turned around and saw him smiling at me. I smiled back and he came back in on the next verse.

I have noticed the drummer thing too. I hear a change in something and look over and he is playing with one hand, making an adjustment or something. Pretty sure no one else notices.

In a previous thread about loud guitar players the question was raised whether or not the rest of the band would notice if the bass stopped. It was nice to see that the answer was "yes", at least for that song...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

It's good to drop in and out. I often do that on a verse. It adds dynamics and a change of balance. And as Phil says you appreciate the bass when it comes back in.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Archived