Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

28" Bass drums are loud

Ross Brown

Our drummer brought to rehearsal a newly re-wrapped, 28 bass drum to replace the 24 bass drum he has been using. Talk about loud!!!

It gave an overall good sound to our music. Fuller, deeper, went well with our music, but talk about loud!!! I felt like I could just float a note from my bass and the bass drum would push is through the room and give rhythm. I am hoping it is not too loud for some of the venues we will be playing He does actually possess some dynamics skill, so maybe he will be able to adjust to the venue. He was very proud of it. He is quite a craftsman. It was re-wrapped in a sparkle red to match the rest of the kit. His hobby is collecting and refinishing/restoring Ludwig drum sets.

Did I mention it was loud? I think I will be getting the old ear plugs out of their case next time

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is something special about the bass drum thump. With larger bass drums there is a danger that with fast repeat kicks, which are very much the norm, the sound can merge into one due to the sustain of the first hit. Listen out for that.

Dynamic control shows very good technique, so bravo if he can do this.

Enjoy those ear plugs

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Yea, he used a double pedal for the intro to American Band. It was just thunder. He lays off the double pedal most of the time.
"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Although for recordings and rehearsals my drummer uses a much smaller kit, for gigs (especially when we don't have much PA support) my drummer uses his recently acquired Vistalite kit with 26" kick, 14" rack and 16" and 18" floor toms. It is one of the few kits I've heard where the kick drum is loud enough go without miking in surprisingly large venues.

Combined with a hard beater and minimal damping it's like "When The Levée Breaks" all over again!

Alex

Ahhh yes. You have brought back a beautiful memory. The only time I played drums was as a senior in high school. We had "standard" marching bass drums that we used (how fitting for me to be a bass drummer, since I had no "stick skills"). I don't know how big they were, but they made a nice sound.

The fun was that every once in a while I'd put on the concert bass drum - bigger diameter, but twice as wide a body. That was truly thunderous on the open field at 7:30 in the morning.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived