Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Owning vintage Fenders

Barks

I would like to ask some questions about old Fender basses of those that own such things. I have one or two fine basses but the one thing I still feel I would like to own is an old Fender. Probably a Precision as there are more of those around at relatively more realistic prices than Jazz basses. How does it feel to be the current owner of one of these things?

I'm thinking that sound wise things are not going to be vastly different to a new/re-issue Fender. Or am I wrong in this assumption?

I bought a US made Precision '57 re-issue last year and it looks nice but, to me at least, it doesn't really feel that comfortable at all. As a result it rarely gets used.

Also do you dare not take such basses out for fear of damage or theft etc.?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Neil.

'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own what I guess would be called a vintage Fender.

It's a '71 Jazz Bass....I bought it brand new in January 1972.

It feels and sounds great. It looks pretty beat up. :)

I suppose it's worth a lot of money now, but I don't know if it's worth more than my relatively new Mike Lull M4V bass.

I've never worried about having an instrument stolen from a stage....I've never heard of that happening to anyone I know.

The bass was stolen once from my house and I was lucky enough to recover it.

As far as damage, if I were worried about my basses being damaged, I'd put them all in glass cases and never play again. I'm always bumping into something on a gig and I've dropped pretty much every instrument I own at least once.

That's why there are repair people.

If you want a bass to feel "older", you could always take a little finish off the neck....I've had that done and it works great.

I have a defretted '74 Jazz Bass that I bought about 15 years ago. It was my first venture into the world of the smooth 'board, cheap, and had lots of character. Didn't know the year until recently, which doesn't really effect how I treat it. It is kind of cool having something almost as old as I am, other than that it's just a bass I enjoy playing and have gotten more than my money's worth out of it.

To me it sounds the same as other fretless Jazz Basses I've tried. What sets it apart from the newer ones is that it has a chunkier neck, which I prefer.

Vintage Fenders will range from $1,000 to $35,000, take your pick. Whether they sound better or worse than a new model is not an issue. Most lucky owners of very expensive Fenders rarely take them anywhere except to a high profile Guitar Show to sell it or show it. The RI you bought should be a fine instrument. Vintage tone does not necessarially come from Vintage instruments. We have not agreed on what is Vintage and what is not Vintage. We also cannot agree on what Vintage sound is. I hope I have not confused you. :freak:

Rocky :snax:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

Yeah, "old" and "vintage" are relative terms.

I own a '76 Fender J (you can see it in my sig) which I like and which has appreciated in value since I bought it (new, in '78, right when I got out of high school).

But it worth nowhere near what an original '57 P-bass would pull in.

And I don't like it any better than my '97 Pedulla Rapture J2-5 -- different basses, used for different things.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I have a '65 P, and recently sold a '69 J. I paid very, very little for the '65 (I mean it's ridiculous what I got this bass for close to 15 yrs ago...).

I didn't pay much more for the J....and fetched a nice price for it.

It's funny...back in the late 70s and early 80s I must have gone thru 50 or so of the mid-late 70s Fenders (both Ps and Js). They were considered crappy then...and each them I bought cheap (even at the prices of that era). Theyb were heavy, some did not sound all that good (and hence why I went thru quite a few!).

Now, they are "vintage" and desirable...who knew?

I use my 65 only for sessions...I don't gig it, tho I have. I "retired" it after a producer offered me $8k cash for it on a session.

It sounds incredible....and plays...well...like buttah.

I play it once a month or so...just to keep it in shape.

It is in mint cond. Complete with ashtray covers and tags.

I have a line out for it with a collector right now....if I can get the right price I will sell it. I don't really use it enough to warrant having it ( I don't collect basses...I play them), and the money could earn some good interest towards my daughter's college fund.

Max

...it's not the arrow, it's the Indian.

Vintage is nice whether it is basses, autos or wine. Mostly, it is the pride of ownership IMHO. If we just consider Fender quality, sound and playability, I believe the new USA and Deluxe are the best instruments they have ever produced. New technology in electronics, manufacturing, and finish has in my opinion improved the breed.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I own a '73 Jazz bass. I've owned it for about 10 years, and I got a pretty good deal on it. I've used it on recordings and a few gigs. Tonally it's pretty sweet and it plays alright.

But I have been wary about bringing it on gigs. I know people who have had instruments stolen at gigs and as a result I'm a little skittish about playing out with it. So it's utility to me is a little limited because of that. And the thought has crossed my mind to sell it. Plus, I have a 70's reissue Jazz bass that I feel comfortable gigging with. And I know that if I sold my vintage Jazz that I could probably afford the reissue P-Bass I've been thinking about for a while, and maybe something else as well.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

I play my '71 every day. It's on a stand right in the middle of the house (in the room which would be called a dining room if it wasn't full of instruments and actually had a dining room table.)

On gigs, I usually use my Mike Lull, my Wendler, or my PRS 5 string. They sound better to me in a band context.

Plus, pieces are falling off the Jazz bass because there is no finish on the edges. ;)

Thanks for the comments and insight. I suppose I will end up buying something old one day.

I am enjoying my new Sadowsky Metro for gigging but I do still have the urge to find a nice old P-bass (even if it only goes out to rehearsals and gets used at home). It would probably be a nice companion to the J-style Metro too.

Neil.

'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

I owned a '63 P for 26 years and it was my only instrument. It has a sweet old tone. The reason I sold it is I wanted something new and hopefully more modern sounding.

I have 3 basses now that cost less than what I sold the '63 for; I got deals on 2 of them and had one made. 2 of them are 10 yrs old and mint. My PJ sounds very similar to the '63 and is brand new. My Yamaha has a more modern sound.

Some swear that vintage instruments have a better tone than newer ones. Well maybe, maybe not. IMO it's in the ear of the listener. If you want a vintage bass go for it, but be aware that you can get a lemon whether new or vintage.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

If we just consider Fender quality, sound and playability, I believe the new USA and Deluxe are the best instruments they have ever produced.

In my experience the Standards are very good too. My 60th Anniversary Precision is one of, if not the best fretted bass I've played. I used to take a Standard Jazz I had to a country jam. The house band's bass player had a '66 Jazz. The only difference I could tell between the two in tone was his pickups were starting to get harmonic. Not sure if that's the right word, but harmonics were made that I wasn't trying for.

Something to watch out for is folks are ripping people off with basses they've made to look vintage. I've read a few things about it happening but can't find the links in my bookmarks. Anywho, you don't have to worry about that if you buy a new Fender. And they are a lot less expensive, which is always a plus in my book. :grin:

As mentioned here before, I own a 1966 Fender Jazz bass that I cherish.

That said, my main axe is a 2003 Ernie Ball Music Man 5.

Never will sell that 1966, and have instructed my wife and daughter to make sure they get the true value once I pass.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Well, after selling very rare Metallica autographs ( including CLIFF!)

I thought rather than pay bills like I'm supposed to, why not just

buy the best bass that I could afford and keep it forever.

I wasn't really keen on precisions and jazzes , and am still not.

So , I purchased a 1977 TELECASTER (the one with only 1 huge humbucker by the neck!) It is awesome .

All I want now is a MUSTANG with 'COMPETITION STRIPES'

(original of course !)

I suppose seeing that Fender is regarded as the daddy of all basses

whatever model, everyone should check 'em out

and see if the shoe fits or not.

1977fender telecaster bass . Washburn status, ch guitar 8 string , schecter elite diamond series 5 string. Steinberger xm2 custom.the list goes on..

The quality in the 70's was not great and my '76 P had the bridge in the wrong place!

It's less important to me now than it has been over the last 30 years. Mainly because it has limitations which I can no longer deal with. That said I would have thought a 60's P-bass, sunburst with rosewood neck would be the one to go for. This to me is the iconic P-bass version.

I keep looking at pre-CBS jazz's when they turn up. A really good one is a pleasure as they play so well and are quite light. In terms of tone it is doubtful that anyone other than an anorak bassist, like myself, would be able to tell the difference with a modern Jazz in a recorded ensemble.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I am very fortunate to own a few vintage Fenders....

a 57 pbass,

a 59 p bass,

a 64 P Bass

and a 73 Jazz Bass...

all 100% original and great sounding basses...

all very different.

They do feel different compared to a new bass and I prefer the old feel ..but with some tweaking and sometimes right out of the box you can get a new bass set up to feel real good...

When I purchased them the vintage market was nothing like it is today... and because of the vintage market insanity ..

I dont take these basses to gigs .. if anything should happen to any of them, I do have them insured but they are becoming more dificult to obtain... I have used them on some private shows and recording sessions ...

I have a few new basses and they all sound great ad get the job done and are easily replaceable..

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos2795/8/38/12/29/56/0/56291238810_0_ALB.jpg

www.danielprine.com

The problem with taking a wonerful, old vintage bass to a gig is: would anyone know what you have in your hands?

Rocky

Benjamin Franklin

The problem with taking a wonerful, old vintage bass to a gig is: would anyone know what you have in your hands?

Rocky

Probably not - but accidents do happen ( I know 1st hand ) and I'd rather not take the chance...

www.danielprine.com

Rocky

I don't know how it is with other styles of music, but when I was in a country band it was rare if people even knew I was there.

Right on, 57pbass!

I used to take my fretless '74 Jazz to jams and gigs a lot. The g****r player for the band I jammed with didn't know it was me up there playing, or that I had the fretless. A pretty good compliment I think.

Archived