Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Simple question

Derrick1642607670

I feel kind of embarresed asking this but what all does an effects loop on an amp serve for? Someone had told me it for using pedals without coloring the tone of your amp when the pedals arent on, and google tells me "use for effects like flanger, delay, chorus, etc." thanks for helping.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is in between the pre-amp and the power amp. So your geet goes in, gets all the loveliness given to it from the pre-amp section, then comes out through (for instance) a corus pedal in your FX loop, then back in the FX return and amplified by the power amp (which shouldnt colour the sound much, just amplify it).

So the chorus pedal, is colouring the pre-amps tone.

If you put your chorus pedal in front of the pre-amp (i.e. into the instrument jack) your pre-amp will colour the chorus effect.

Your friends description is not correct.

Hopefully you understand my ramblings ;) If not, im sure somebody will give it a better go.

Usually, a loop works better with effects that have a line-level output, so it's normally better suited for rack-mounted multi-effetcts units rather than stomp boxes, but you'll have to experiment to see what works for you. It also is better suited for time-based effects like a Delay rather than an overdrive.

There are two types of effects loops: parallel or serial. In a parallel loop, the dry signal always goes straight through to the output and as you increase the Return level of the loop it "adds in" more of the effect to the dry signal. In a serial loop ALL signal goes through the effects before hitting the output, so you always have a blended signal and the Return level increases the combined output of dry and wet signal. Check your owners manual to see which you are dealing with. I hope this makes sense.

IMO the effects loop is best used for EQ-type of stuff, the BBE Sonic Stomp, etc. Then again I'm not really a phaser/flanger/chorus kind of guy, so YMMV.

John

GP sacred cow of the year: Jimmy Vaughan

Ellwood,

I'm the same way. The only problem is that when using a Delay, if the amp has chanel switching, the delay always get "overdriven" and is much more prominent in the final sound.

As far as gigs, tomorrow starts our busy season with about 25 gigs between now and Labor Day. The only problem is we lost our sax player and have to use subs. This slightly limits how many songs we can keep in rotation. EIther way, it should be a great summer.

How's Roadhog doing?

That sucks 55! man our arrangements are so tight with the keyboard/sax player and with what I do back and forth with him that would REALLY suck!! Hope you nail down a perm fast! Well the Hogs are very busy every weekend in Canada still and usually I'm doing the blues band gigs one night during the week, we are in the studio at Studio B here so that's comming along fine, we go over next tues. to hear a close to final mix down, so we will see. Yep looks like another busy summer for you and me buddy!

Archived