Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I had never seen such a website, but I always knew...

Mike Gug

This is kinda creepy. This was the first time I had ever seen one of these sites.

A guy was selling an orange busrt on Craigs List. In the CL pics, he never showed the headstock, but sent me this link when I asked about a guitar.

www.importgear.com.cn

Does any one else feel disturbed by this?

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's definitely scary, Mike. One more reason why it's a good thing when companies control territories for sales of their products. Sure, the internet has forced retail markets to move nationally, if not globally, but at what cost?

I did see a funny reverse of knock-off scams yesterday. On Ed Roman's site is a letter from a guy who bought a suspicious, used PRS from his local Sam Ash. It had no PRS signature sticker and several other variations made him wonder about it, but the store was selling it for $800 as a PRS. They said they couldn't charge anything near blue book for it because of the variations from other PRS instruments. Despite that fact everyone who played the instrument insisted they could hear and feel differences that made the used guitar far better than any of the new PRS instruments in their stock.

When he arrived home he noticed the pickups were not floating, but hard mounted to the body. He removed a pickup to discover "Ed Roman was here", a parody of "Kilroy was here" Ed adds to instruments he modifies for customers. This PRS (and yes, it was a PRS) had the neck modified to create a long tenon, the pickups had been hard mounted and several other modifications. (Ed informed the letter writer the work, along with similar work on other instruments, was done for a NYC policeman. He surmised the cop sold the instrument when he became parapalegic, but I wonder if it wasn't stolen. It was bought by the letter writer in Texas.) So some lucky stiff bought a better than stock, heavily modified PRS for $800 because the staff at Sam Ash didn't know what they had. (Another reason I believe the instrument was stolen. If they didn't know, the seller certainly didn't know.)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived