Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I am currently transcribing "Beauty Knows No Pain" by Mr. Frank Zappa, and one melodic run has me perplexed. This song is in A. After the words go " . . . so whatcha cryin' about . . ." then there is a short run that decends these notes in the bass (that's all I've been able to figure out): F (natural)- D# - C# - B - A What the hell mode/scale/progression is this? I wanna harmonize it, but I'm not sure how. :thu:
Amateur Hack

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Harmonize it like this: G# - F# - F - D# - C#

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

[quote]Originally posted by shniggens: [b]I am currently transcribing "Beauty Knows No Pain" by Mr. Frank Zappa, and one melodic run has me perplexed. This song is in A. After the words go " . . . so whatcha cryin' about . . ." then there is a short run that decends these notes in the bass (that's all I've been able to figure out): F (natural)- D# - C# - B - A unless I`m missing something really obvious, it`s a whole tone scale. What the hell mode/scale/progression is this? I wanna harmonize it, but I'm not sure how. :thu: [/b][/quote]

Yeah. It makes me laugh, too. But as for the harmony. Did you try it?

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

[quote]Originally posted by shniggens: [b]I am currently transcribing "Beauty Knows No Pain" by Mr. Frank Zappa, and one melodic run has me perplexed. This song is in A. After the words go " . . . so whatcha cryin' about . . ." then there is a short run that decends these notes in the bass (that's all I've been able to figure out): F (natural)- D# - C# - B - A What the hell mode/scale/progression is this? I wanna harmonize it, but I'm not sure how. :thu: [/b][/quote]It's called the whole tone scale. There are only two whole tone scales (then they repeat). They are made using intervals that are strictly whole tones. Try continuing up and down the scale, using whole tone intervals, and you get the picture. There are zillions of ways to harmonize it. Harmonizing whole tone scales is one of the two or three things that the French are particularly good at. Try this. Playing those notes in the right hand (say, right above middle C), play the following in the left hand (right next to the right hand -- around middle C): G, B, F (G V7 w/o a 5th), then move each note in the left hand down a half step to: Gb, Bb, E, then move each note in the left hand down another half step to: F, A, Eb, and again, and again and again.... all the way to G, B, F, an octave lower than you started (the right hand stays put). SEE: with the whole tone scale, you really can't go wrong. It works with virtually everything. What happens is that the whole tones function as upper partials (harmonics) of the underlying harmony. It's like a basic black t-shirt. Goes with everything. -Peace, Love, and Brittanylips

Wow, thanks Brittanylips. I think that was a little over my head until I can get home and try it on the piano. Likewise, Duhduh, I 'll give it a shot at home. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks.
Amateur Hack

Archived